stalwart gone bang

paulob1

Well we were heading for slab common today...i blame antarmike for putting a jinx on my stolly..she went big time bang...sounds like a big end or main bearing has gone...something certainly has let go all the water and a bit of oil, just below the air pump...no idea what at this stage, she is off home on a revoery truck with my son and one of my staff...I have to work this evening so am off to do that...but its at least an engine out and likely a complete strip and rebuild...very very odd she was runnign so well...luckily i have a second engine. likely i will rebuild the second engine and install that or the broken one and re install that one...depending upon the damage, ifs thrown a rod or something then she may need a new block...usually if a rod goes doesnt it do a bit of damage to the pistons and therefore the plugs, cant see any damage on the outside but something has let all the water go and she is making a terrible clattering sound...

typical with all this talk of break down services and people giving stollys a hard time...ho hum time to give her a damn good service, new clutch nice new paint job and replace all those seals and things that needed doing...will have the dowtys out and have them serviced too...

oh fun...

so sorry to learn of your woes, must be catching, as my Saracen has lost ability to change gear..... so it is a big job to change the box on it!..... good luck finding the problem, hope it's only minor.....

yes she is back home...engine will have to come out, she needed a new clutch and a good going over anyway and i am negotiating on another one as a knock about stolly, one to be towed to places where I can abuse it...going to strip it bare and make it one hell of a mean off roading vehicle...will be a lot of fun..

yes its a bit annoying, It has been off the road for about 4 months whilst we sort the leaking wheel station, now thats done the blasted engine has let us down...as I say i have a spare but the plan was to rebuild that and bring it back into as new condition prior to fitting it to 744...then I was going to rebuild the old one and therefore have two good engines...now I will only have one...will need to find me a new b81 block i suspect. well thats assuming something serously terminal has happended inside...she will be back good as new...going to give her a sand spray job and make her look all nice and pretty...as if I DIDNT HAVE ENOUGH TO DO...

its confirmed it has dropped a rod, so engine out and new one in...have to rebuild two old ones now so that i have one in the truck and one as a spare...am alos looking at another stolly today to have as my true play thing, the other one with the crane I need for general work on site...so i dont want to play big time with that too much and break it again...so now itsd a wonter of rebuilding,...

here you go paul, took the liberty of taking a snap!

One picture shows a bit of the crankcase that we found! with a drive gearbox (still intact!) the other pictures is the hole but it does not do it justice, can comfortably get my hand into the block now!!:shake:

Baz

DSC00869.jpg

DSC00872.jpg

engine purchased from Stolly owner, not the same spec but hopefully the block is good, if anyone has a proper stalwart engine going spare that would still be good. i want to have at least one good engine spare for each of my toys...