Martian clutch

Clutch has been stuck on for a number of years with being stood doing nothing, just wondering is it a pig of a job to remove and free off? Also if new parts are required are they still available as a commercial item? When I get the truck back undercover i'm hoping it will be my next job. Any help/input appreciated.

Whats stuck? Can you move the pedal? Can you "feel" the load of the pressure plate when you press the pedal down? I take it you've tried starting it up in gear and going for an exciting unstoppable drive:sweat: Sometimes just letting it run at a fast tickover for about half an hour can pop the plate free as the engine and flywheel warm up and vibrate. If you can drive it you need to be in the highest gear you can and floor it with your foot on the clutch better still drive it round a field/main road:cool2: and work your way into top gear and do some more flooring. I have freed loads of stuck clutches off this way but did have half a mile of open beach to do it on. also a good excuse to do loads of flooring if in doubt floor it:-D

Martian clutches are notorious for sticking due to the clutch housing vent bieng at the top of the bell housing. If stood outside for long periods of time rain and condensation would drip in and run through the twin plate assembly. There was a modification to put a cover plate over the top to try and stop this happening. The other trick was to wedge a stick between the clutch pedal and the steering wheel so that the pedal was partially depressed keeping the plates and intermediate plate apart.

I am sure the plates will be avaliable as they were 12" Borg &Beck, not so sure where you will find an intermediate plate though. They may be the same as Stalwart ?

John.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Simon, i have all clutch parts if you are stuck, the friction plates as Antar Mike says are readily available, but I have a couple of sets if you need one. Think i may have a intermediate plate as well, but would need to check?

Good advice to hold the pedal down, if mine is left more than a week its stuck, so we have been doing this for years now! If you forget.... a couple of weeks you can get away with by riding around banging the pedal and jumping on the brakes.. a couple of years!! forget it! engine out and replace!

Good Luck,

Pete

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Simon, i have all clutch parts if you are stuck, the friction plates as Antar Mike says are readily available, but I have a couple of sets if you need one. Think i may have a intermediate plate as well, but would need to check?

Good advice to hold the pedal down, if mine is left more than a week its stuck, so we have been doing this for years now! If you forget.... a couple of weeks you can get away with by riding around banging the pedal and jumping on the brakes.. a couple of years!! forget it! engine out and replace!

Good Luck,

Pete

As Antar says, not AntarMike.... I don't know much about anything but Anatrs and Matadors.....

• 10 months later...