Did anyone go to Belvoir Castle Steam Fair?

Richard Grosvenor

I did go but the lowloader tractor had to be pushed downhill by bulldozer, not by hand. The ground was so soft it was almost impossible to walk, let alone push! Weather was a real shame, cracking show, hundreds of exhibits actually turned up and there must have been more booked that were put off by the weather but the rain reduced the crowds to well below the number required to break even. So far as Military vehicles were concerned, there were quite a few soft skins (25 to 30) and for armour there was a Stuart M5, an M8 Greyhound A/C, Ferret, Comet, Universal carrier with 6pdr gun and my Valentine. They had built us an arena with knife edges and all the armour and some of the smaller softskins went for a drive/wade/swim in it.

I really hope that the organisers can and do put it on again next year.

That's a shame! The weather wasn't good last year and the big stuff wasn't allowed to move around the site for fear making a mud run.

It's a pity it couldn't be staged later in the year as it is a really nice show.

Mind you if I had have been able to take my soon to be refurbished Militant and got stuck I would not have been a happy bunny!! :x :wink:

Regards

Richard