Fox CVR(W) Armoured Cars

REME 245

Now a Fox running around without a turret - like a Ferret Mk1. That would be something.

Think RF has driven them like this at sometime...:-D

Thanks for posting the photos... would like to see more...

Edited by Marmite!!

Now a Fox running around without a turret - like a Ferret Mk1. That would be something.

As Lee said, I have done this many times, years ago, the loss of turret weight gives it a bit of get up and go. If work had been done on transmission, etc, which required a turret removal, the examiners would road test like that, in case a replacement gearbox needed readjusting.

The pictures are from A (RWY) Squadron of the RY.

It was the first armoured regiment I had served in and unlike the previous transport units I had been attached to something always seemed to need recovering when ever we went out.

I suppose armour is less reliable or it gets abused more.

Now that I see a normal (Normal=5'10"-6 foot) human next to a fox I can finnaly see how small they are.

A fox without a turret...only about 10,000 pounds or so? Getty up lil dawwgy.

VW German dude:

"British Engineeering in da haus ya!"

Edited by fadedsun

The Fox is very quick WITH the turret. I imagine it flies without it on.

Stop me if I have told you this one before.

While B Sqn 15/19H were in UNFICYP, Sep 1976 - Mar 1977, A Sqn partook in a KAPE Tour to Keep the Army in the Public Eye.

15/19H were popularly known as The Geordie Hussars for obvious reasons and it was a long way from Tidworth where we were stationed to our Home Headquarters and their base for the tour at Fenham Barracks, Newcastle. For some reason it was decided they would drive their Foxes up the A1 rather than entrain them at Ludgershall and detrain them at Morpeth (which is what B Sqn did in July 1977 for Ex Trident with Scorpions and Mark 5 Ferrets).

We in B Sqn (The Guards) got a copy of The Tab (regimental newspaper) whilst in UNFICYP which depicted a Windies (A Sqn) Fox at speed with Basil Brush in the commander's seat and much hilarity in the article, which didn't really mean much to us, just like our squadron newspaper in Cyrus (The Guard-UN) would have meant nothing to them.

I later got the details.

A significant subset of Windies had driven up the A1 at great speed, leaving a number of breakdowns which meant that the LAD REME bringing up the rear arrived a lot later than the main body.

The main body arrived at Fenham Barracks late on Friday afternoon. The SSM promptly leapt out and disappeared into HHQ for a comfort break leaving the group in the charge of the young officer who was titular OC KAPE Tour (although as we all know, the SSM held the real power).

The SSM emerged from his comfort break to find OC KAPE Tour standing alone on the vehicle park watching a trail of dust heading down the road to St James' Park.

"Where is everybody, sir?"

"Well I told them they'd all done well to get the Foxes up here and they could take the weekend off at home before the KAPE Tour starts on Monday. I told them to take their Foxes home and show the family what it was all about."

Windies had taken no second telling, knowing that the SSM would have a differing opinion on this proposal and were off before OC could change his mind.

OC and SSM spent the weekend driving the length and breadth of the North East of England rounding up Foxes from council estates.