Autocar U7144T.

Antony

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

International made the M series mate..M425 and M426..nice looking Trucks...i toyed with the one recently for sale in Belgium....but then finding the "big bit" on the back may prove to be elusive....

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=47949&cat=4

Look nice on an Air Corps display eh Bodge ?

Regards

Lloyd

am i right to think international and diamond t made a clone of the autocar

Actually I think the Autocar was identical to the White. Federal built a similar truck, but that one has an obvious curved grille in stead of the flat one on the White and Autocar.

International made the M series mate..M425 and M426..nice looking Trucks...i toyed with the one recently for sale in Belgium....but then finding the "big bit" on the back may prove to be elusive....

Yes, I had a look at the truck at the Wings and Wheels show in Belgium, earlier this year. Seemed like a real nice project....some welding needed to the right hand side, but nothing too serious.

By the way there is a second one for sale in Belgium at the moment....dressed in civvy colours.

Anyway, Back to the subject....I really admire you guys for starting a project like this....."not for the faint hearted" comes to mind...

Hope to see new pictures soon!

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to thank those who have posted kind words about the restoration, but I would like to point out that it is not my project, I just take the pictures and help where I can.

Recently, drilling winter wheat has taken priority over restoration work, but the headlight brush guard frame has been made, ready for the wire infill. The engine bores were cleaned and soaked in thin oil after the heads were removed. A bar was engaged on the ring gear teeth last week and the engine turned and is now free, which is very encouraging.

HPIM0116.jpg

HPIM0121.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress to report, the rear cross member was in a poor state and has been replaced with one which became available from a doner chassis. The lower web plates had to be renewed, and the rear part of the chassis and the cross member were sand blasted and primed.

HPIM0126.jpg

HPIM0124.jpg

Are those nuts and bolts a permanent replacement for the original rivets or just temporary?

I am on the look out for some 3/8"x1" round head rivets for my Ward La France if anyone knows were I can find some. The alternative is to make some up, probably from bolts.

Are those nuts and bolts a permanent replacement for the original rivets or just temporary?

I am on the look out for some 3/8"x1" round head rivets for my Ward La France if anyone knows were I can find some. The alternative is to make some up, probably from bolts.

There were no rivets in the cross member, all were 1/2" bolts, they have been replaced with new. [ Not metric.] I don't know if they were riveted originally, but I am sure I remember hearing that British Army Rebuilds of Diamond T 969's had chassis rivets replaced with bolts, but I would like someone to confirm that.

Today's news is that the rear brake drums and wheel hubs were removed, cleaned and replaced, all in very good condition. There are a few broken half shaft studs in the hubs to extract and replace.

The rear left spring has been replaced with a N.O.S. one, and as light was rapidly fading this evening the vehicle was dragged outside for a first coat of olive drab on the rear end of the chassis.

We have discovered that the rear cross member was bolted, not riveted in the factory.

HPIM0132.jpg

HPIM0135.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No photograph this week, but the timing gear cover has been removed to reveal the gears and shafts all in good order and new oil seals fitted. All the valves have been ground in and cylinder heads torqued down.

Anthony;

Did you install hardened seats when you did the valves, I was told by the previous owner of my Diamond T that these HERCULES engines can go thru valve seats. My engine had them installed when a valve job was preformed by the previous owner.

John Gott

Hi John,

The Hercules RXC has not had hardened valve seats fitted, the seats were in good order apart from some rust through standing for about thirty years, which is understandable. We have heard that the RXC is prone to burning valve seats, but it will not do many miles anyway due to the expense of running it at about five miles to the gallon. We saw an RXC in Mr. Beke's yard in Paris recently with one of the heads removed, it had hardened valve seats and one of them had come loose.

Thanks for your interest,

Tony.

• 3 weeks later...

Will you be refitting the clutch, or is it in working order.

When I took my timing cover off to install new oil seals, I had to put speedi repair sleeves on the crank and water pump drive, as they wer deeply scored.

John Gott