Parking on public road

Eastblock

obviously the law you have quoted is the law but for my own interest do you know if the old rules still exist. I remember (and still have in the garage) when my dad used to fix a "parking light" to his car which was attached to the drivers door (so offside) and was red at the back and white at the front. It ran off the car battery.

or did this just apply to cars and, as you said much earlier, they do not have to show lights now?

The law that applies now is the "Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations" 1989.

When enacted in 1989 I presume all previous regulations relating to vehicle lighting was revoked.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reg 25 (5) of the road vehicle lighting regulations 1989 therefore applies.

This legislation forbids a vehicle to be LEFT (parked) on a road at night without certain lights being switched on, but does make a few exceptions to this overall requirement...

I think you mean Reg 24(1)(b).

Solar Garden lamps idea might be adapted to replace paraffin roadlamps, since marking "An AREA" with roadlamps within which the vehicle is left without lights, is still I believe legal.

Correction, the provision to leave a vehicle in an area outlined by roadlamps, only applies to road making vehicles and their loads, in an area where road works are being carried out.

Thanks for all the replies to date. It's all a bit clearer to me now. However I just talked to my neighbour who warned me about the spot I was planning to use. Apparently some of the people who live on that street would be very inclined to contact the council even though the truck wouldn't actually be in their way or block their view. I don't want to go into a slugging match with council and neighbours so I have to see if I can rent a spot on a nearby industrial estate. Why people are so bloody sensitive these days I don't know but they are.

Edited by Eastblock

The law says that the lights fitted must be switched on. It does not say extra lights can be fitted and left on and the original manufacturers lights (ie those required to be fitted by law) can then be left switched off.

Hence my suggestion of gutting the solar lamps - an LED is a very small thing to find a home for, you could probably mount he solar gubbins externally and shove the LED on some flyleads into the existing lamp cluster.