Barn find in Loire Valley

This was found in a remote hill top farm in the Loire Valley where I stayed recently. It seems the farm was used by the resistance at sometime. However as I do not know of their methods I do not know how it came to be there. Logic would tell me that if they stored weapons they would have buried them, as a property would be a likely target for the Germans to search, which in turn would have put the owners at great risk!

As for the grenade it has 'No.36 M' on the bottom and what looks like 'BBC' as a possible makers mark - but it is very hard to see so could be 'BPC'. Incidentally is this a British grenade or US?

Le Grenade.jpg

Yep, thats british and live....... Dont pull the pin out. The 'M' denotes waterproofed. The bottom plug should unscrew, exposing the detonator, which can be removed but beware of picric acid crystals which can be very unstable.

Options are, chuck in a lake, pull the pin and chuck in a lake, unscrew the base if you feeling brave..... or give it to the local expo. The police will be able to contact them.

Nice find though, I have some lovely deac ones. Something like that would go for £50 at Beltring.

When I found it I was tempted for half a second to find out if it was live by pulling the pin and throwing it in to a farmers field - but then the thought of being 6 feet under or at best serving a long stretch in a French jail came to mind so I put it back where I found it.

The property owner has subsequently advised that it had been 'deactivated' so thats OK then.

But take my advice never be tempted - after all French bomb disposal experts are still being killed by UXO's 64 years after WW2 ended and almost 100 years after WW1 started.

Finally regarding this question concerning the Resistance can anyone help:

Logic would tell me that if they stored weapons they would have buried them, as a property would be a likely target for the Germans to search, which in turn would have put the owners at great risk!

Edited by LarryH57
additional info

Hi there

Ive been living in the Vienne 86 and bought and sold quite alot of houses here having bought wrecks to do up and sell on.

In 3 of these houses we have had bread ovens and found ammunition and weapons hidden in the earth on top of them. the last house I did I had the Gendarmerie around twice a day for a week to remove certain items found.

The bread ovens were ideal because they were dry and for some reason the Germans never searched them. About 75metres from the house there was a small bank on the edge of a farmers field which is rumoured to have the larger weapons hidden. I never got around to digging it and the French EOD team didnt bother about it either as its in the countryside and covered in brambles.

The history of the last house was in the war it belonged to the local Mayor and in the roof space was a rifle range training camp for the local maquis. Down the road was a wireless station, first time i visited there in the early 90,s it was full of mortar rounds, weapons and a couple of jeeps being kept by an old guy who was saving it until the allies came back for it!!!! sadly when i went there 2 years ago the old man was still very much alive but a couple of brits had gone there posing as officals and removed everything military and collectable for free!

In my area there are plenty of stories from the locals and evidence of battles, and plenty of objects to be found( if you look hard enough)

Christian