Generators

LoggyDriver

Hello guys. I'm looking at buying a portable generator for the box and I've narrowed it down to 3 different makes. Stephill, Hyundai and Briggs and Stratton. Has anyone any experience with these machines?

The first one is a Stephill generator.6.5KVA - 5200watts output. They are made in Wellingborough and they have the Honda 13hp engine and brushless Makron Alternators. £749+vat.

http://www.genpoweruk.co.uk/product.php?productid=16255&cat=0&page=1

The second one is the Hyundai. This comes with a 15hp four stroke Hyundai engine and produces a whopping 7200watts max and 6500watts continous voltage. It's got a big fuel tank, electric and pull start, auto voltage regulation, 12v DC, digital hours, hertz and voltage indicator and circuit breaker. This looks like a real nice machine and is priced at £799+vat. (click on picture of genny for more pics)

http://www.genpoweruk.co.uk/product.php?productid=16278&cat=0&page=1

The last one is the Briggs and Stratton. This is 6KVA with a 4800watt continous supply. Only a 9hp engine on this one, long run fuel tank, 2x 240v and 2x 115v sockets (32amp and 16 amp on each voltage). This is £739 INC vat and delivery.

http://www.briggsandstrattongenerators.co.uk/pages/Briggs_Pro_Max_6000.htm

So what one out of these three would you say looks the best buy? I'm looking at the Hyundai as it's a Jap machine and should be good quality, has a big engine and muchos power for a reasonable price, but the Stephill is made in the UK and has the Honda engine..... Decisions, decisions!!!!

What do you guys think?

Andy

Edited by LoggyDriver

I agree with you, the Hyundai looks like it might be quite a lot smaller too...

Might be worth going to a local farm supply type place to have a poke around before committing yourself, nothing like comparing them in the flesh to help you make your mind up...

Stone

I agree with you, the Hyundai looks like it might be quite a lot smaller too...

Might be worth going to a local farm supply type place to have a poke around before committing yourself, nothing like comparing them in the flesh to help you make your mind up...

Stone

Yeah I know what you are saying. Believe it or not, the Hyundai is 29kg's HEAVIER than the Stephill and 27kg's heavier than the Briggs models, weighing in at 100kgs. Definitely a two man lifting job. The problem I've found is that every website you look at, the same generator can be a different colour, have different sockets and just looks different (see below). I put this down to old websites etc.

The Hyundai definitely looks like a decent machine, and they do diesel too. The petrol has a 15HP engine @ 3,000rpm and 78db at 7mts on full load. **They claim the weight is 100kgs, but look where the price is, the weight stated is 85kgs** The diesel version has 2,000watts less continous output, 5HP less on engine power output but costs £67 more to buy and is louder at 84db @ 7mts. BUT this engine is 418cc and would be better on fuel and last a lot longer.

http://www.genpoweruk.co.uk/product.php?productid=16263&cat=0&page=1

Edited by LoggyDriver

Loggy, a couple of things to remember when buying generator:

The power is often quoted in KVA, the true power is KW which is the KVA x a typical power factor of 0.8.

If you are going to run any sensitive electronic kit such as computers you need a gen with AVR - automatic voltage regulation.

Small gensets run at 3000rpm to give 50 cycles or 3600rpm to give a higher output at 60 cycles. This is the equivalent of a motor mower running flat out and the din from an open frame type set is excessive if you are camping next to another pitch. My son takes a fully enclosed £3300 4000kw Honda gen to Le Mans every year and even that is about as loud as you can cope with, 59db at 7m.

Diesel gens are dearer to buy but far cheaper to run as they can use red diesel.

If the noise is not an issue I have an open frame 8.8KVA/7KW Briggs V twin available at the sort of money you mentioned above which has only run for 2 hours. The engine is a proper industrial unit with pumped lubrication plus filter rather than splash lubricated and being a twin is far easier on the ears than a single.

Mike

Edited by radiomike7

Loggy, a couple of things to remember when buying generator:

The power is often quoted in KVA, the true power is KW which is the KVA x a typical power factor of 0.8.

If you are going to run any sensitive electronic kit such as computers you need a gen with AVR - automatic voltage regulation.

Small gensets run at 3000rpm to give 50 cycles or 3600rpm to give a higher output at 60 cycles. This is the equivalent of a motor mower running flat out and the din from an open frame type set is excessive if you are camping next to another pitch. My son takes a fully enclosed £3300 4000kw Honda gen to Le Mans every year and even that is about as loud as you can cope with, 59db at 7m.

Diesel gens are dearer to buy but far cheaper to run as they can use red diesel.

If the noise is not an issue I have an open frame 8.8KVA/7KW Briggs V twin available at the sort of money you mentioned above which has only run for 2 hours. The engine is a proper industrial unit with pumped lubrication plus filter rather than splash lubricated and being a twin is far easier on the ears than a single.

Mike

Hi Mike,

How come your getting rid of it? What year is it, what sockets does it have, petrol or diesel, has it got all the toys (avr, low oil cut out, breaker etc) and have you got any photo's???:cool2:

Cheers mate

Andy

Hi Mike,

How come your getting rid of it? What year is it, what sockets does it have, petrol or diesel, has it got all the toys (avr, low oil cut out, breaker etc) and have you got any photo's???:cool2:

Cheers mate

Andy

PM me your email and I will send the details and some photos. Bought it for our small workshop as we were having power cuts every time a cow scratched it's rs on a pole; it arrived the day Powergen decided to run a new cable to our village.:argh:

Personally I would go for the briggs one .

We have a

http://www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/ShowDetails.asp?id=1628

7500 with long range tank and the wheel kit

Payed £1175 from the local dealer

And it has the electric start which was the main reason so the wife could start it

Powers the house in event of a power cut

and useful for site work for me

but heavy at 105kg

Jamie