Look What I've Gone & Done Now

snowtracdave

A little over 2 1/2 tons and test exempt - at least according to the paperwork I've been given . Probably someone will be along shortly to say I'm wrong :-D

Sorry to tell you but as it's under 3.5 tonnes it does need an MOT.

Really nice vehicle, I've always fancied one myself.

I agree that the gross os going to be very close to 3,500kg but I think it is going to be just under. I am aware that a lot of people are claiming exemption on weapons carriers etc but the problems will arise if there is an accident and the insurance company start to dig into things. To be on the safe side unless you can definitely prove a gross weight of 3,500kg I think you would be better getting it tested. If the vehicle is in good nick you should have no problems passing but it would be worth asking around to find a test station with an understanding of old vehicles.

I agree with both of you - always better to err on the side of caution & exempt or not we prefer to submit our vehicles for an inspection at the local garage where we get our MoT tests done (and who long ago got used to us turning up with odd , elderly and occasionally bizarre vehicles ! ) .

Whilst working in the office this evening I sat and reviewed the weight figures given in the paperwork I acquired on Saturday and calculated that the gross weight is 3501.79kg !

So technically - assuming this is what the vehicle weighs in actuality - it does seem to qualify being over the 3500kg requirement but I would want this confirmed by a weighbridge and I still would not be totally happy not having the vehicle professionally checked over once in a while .

In any case , it won't be going anywhere much until such time as I get some bits sorted out - whilst I am not in favour of sacrificing originality I am not at all happy with the indicators & brake lights as there are at the moment . It was fine coming home with a modern vehicle following directly behind , knowing pretty much what I was going to do next , but I would worry out and about in normal traffic that following drivers might not recognise or understand the lighting as presently fitted .

I would welcome your thoughts and comments on this aspect .

Serial Number is 81553201 . I've already got a copy of the build card from Chrysler - Alison gave it to me along with a couple of repro manuals and a thick wad of other bits and pieces of paperwork and that gives the date built as 29th June 1942 .

Hopefully I'll get a bit of time away from work in the not too distant and will be able to have a proper look at the documentation & a bit of a tidy up . I'll also get in touch with you Tony in regard to your kind offer .

DM

Problem with a WC54 is do you call it a van or an ambulance? The MOT rules are totally diffrent for both. With that weight as a van, it should be plated, as an ambulance it is just a Class 4 (Car) MOT, rehardless of weight.

Edited by Tony B