Mike's Mystery object

antarmike

I did actually guess it was a half shaft end cover plate but didn't want to spoil it for anyone else.

What suprises is me is if it's just a blanking plate why does it have small holes for what appear to be puller bolts to screw in?

Surely there's not much force holding a flat plate on especially in a short term temporary situation or is there as I suspect something more to them?

What suprises is me is if it's just a blanking plate why does it have small holes for what appear to be puller bolts to screw in?

Surely there's not much force holding a flat plate on especially in a short term temporary situation or is there as I suspect something more to them?

I noted it was shouldered on the back so was probably made to pull in tight to the hub to do away with the need for a gasket......as it was only a temporary fitment.

I did actually guess it was a half shaft end cover plate but didn't want to spoil it for anyone else.

I seem to remember the smaller holes are for Countersunk screws to hold the blanking plate in place when the wheel os off. Half shafts are held in a similar way.

I thought a lot of you might guess, and I knew "Antar" would recognise instantly, but it made a few of you scratch your heads. Cheers

From Mike's post a couple of weeks ago, and yes, it is Antar. It both seals the exposed end of the hub and locates the outer wheel adaptor in the correct position.

dummyhalfshaftcap.jpg

That explains the large diameter holes in the flange as well. Thought they looked a bit over the top for simply holding a halfshaft in.