War & Peace Living History Space

Steve 82

Hi All,

A quick comment.

I was booked in for living history – arrived Thursday, and told by Greg, no room, everywhere taken – for the third year running.

We had made a substantial effort this year to haul a load of gear for the display, only to be placed in an area where no-one was visiting. WHATS WAS THE POINT OF ALL THE PLANNING AND PREPARATION ?

Have decided that I shall not now bother with living history for future W&P and concentrate on other shows closer to my base (W. Mids). The stalls should still be worth visiting though.

As for those areas large `pre-booked` areas – I was really disappointed at the amount of free (wasted) space, not to mention the number of civvie vehicles across the display areas.

Shame that after 12 years of attending, this matter seems never to have been addressed.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi All,

A quick comment.

I was booked in for living history – arrived Thursday, and told by Greg, no room, everywhere taken – for the third year running.

We had made a substantial effort this year to haul a load of gear for the display, only to be placed in an area where no-one was visiting. WHATS WAS THE POINT OF ALL THE PLANNING AND PREPARATION ?

Have decided that I shall not now bother with living history for future W&P and concentrate on other shows closer to my base (W. Mids). The stalls should still be worth visiting though.

As for those areas large `pre-booked` areas – I was really disappointed at the amount of free (wasted) space, not to mention the number of civvie vehicles across the display areas.

Shame that after 12 years of attending, this matter seems never to have been addressed.

Cheers,

Steve

To ensure a space in Living history it is essential to arrive before the opening day, most were set up by monday/tues., we arrived on the friday before and then had to negotiate the previously reserved plot, also attend the planning meeting held on a saturday morning in May, and keep in phone contact with Greg

Edited by Nick Johns

arrived Thursday, and told by Greg, no room, everywhere taken – for the third year running

Nick is correct you need to be set up before the show starts on the Wednesday, public don't pay to see empty spaces in the Living History section..

From the booking form..

I/We agree to abide by the rules of the event and show site and also to obey the

instruction of the officials whilst on the show site and that our display will be in place by 9 a.m. and will not break down before 6 p.m. for the full five days of the show

Edited by Marmite!!

Thanks for the responses guys.

What I did not mention is that I am on a long term advisory posting to the Northern Gulf region and can usually only get permission to return to UK at the beginning of the week. Have been in touch with Rex and Greg over the past couple of years in the weeks preceeding the event - which has not made very much difference. The booking form is a bit like the fine print in any contract I suppose - and is written in such a way as to prevent liability to the organisers.

As for living history being present the whole 5 day, I totally agree and hope that someone will remind that to the rather large number of folks leaving throughout Sunday.

Anyway, I still love the show - facilities and all, but do wish that folks would be up front and have the courtesy to let me know there is no chance of a slot, that way I would probably come as an MOP and avoid the wasted 2 days frantic preperation after flying home.

Cheers

Steve (back in the Gulf)

Edited by Steve 82

As for living history being present the whole 5 day, I totally agree and hope that someone will remind that to the rather large number of folks leaving throughout Sunday.

That doesn't seem to happen anymore in the LH section after Greg made it clear that those leaving early wouldn't get a space the following year... MV's owners leaving early is a different matter..

I was talking to Greg at the show and he says that he is running out of room and it dosent help when people book in as living history and dont display much if anything, remember its one man trying to sort that field out. The only way you can get a space is be there early or get someone else there early?