WW1 finds and discoveries

Great War truck

12 hours ago, Foden7536 said:

Thanks for Sharing, this is the Thornycroft which is subject to a restoration thread on here started by Tomo Thompson until he sadly passed away. If I was clever I’d work out how to post a link to his blog! 

Et voilà!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

And the French barns still have quiet corners.

I've only just seen this Liberty truck from an auction near June last year. Any idea where it went after the sale?

image.thumb.png.989254f45249b7c23175234af70a884c.png

https://www.lardennais.fr/id494947/article/2023-06-17/un-camion-de-larmee-americaine-vendu-aux-encheres-et-si-vous-vous-offriez-un

Translation:

A US army truck sold at auction: what if you treated yourself to a little piece of history?

This truck was transformed into a (septic tank) emptying machine after the war, and it circulated in the Ardennes as evidenced by the circulation permit issued by the Ardennes prefecture in 1945 for the benefit of an emptying company in Sedan.

Auctions sometimes allow you to unearth some gems. The famous Drouot house is currently offering a “Liberty USA drainer” on its website which will be put on sale on June 27 2023 in Villedieu-les-Poêles, in Manche. Why are we talking to you about this vehicle? Quite simply because it is a witness to the history of our region. The Liberty Truck was the name adopted for a standard model of truck for the United States Army during World War I. More than 8,000 had been sent to France and Europe at that time.

The model sold dates from 1916. After the war, it was transformed into a drainer and everything suggests that it was in the region that it experienced its hours of glory. The last existing document is in fact a circulation permit (gray card) from the Ardennes prefecture dated April 28, 1945 for the benefit of an emptying company in Sedan.

If you want to treat yourself to a piece of our history, you will still have to put your hand in your pocket because this “Liberty USA drainer” is estimated between 15,000 and 25,000 euros.

https://drouot.com/fr/l/21936568-liberty-usa-vidangeur-sans-car?query=Liberty+USA+vidangeur&actionParam=recherche

DESCRIPTION
LIBERTY USA “drainer”. Without registration card and without purchasing documents. On file, copy of a circulation permit (gray card) from the Ardennes prefecture n°10 of June 2, 1938 under n° 64 N 38, chassis 37211. On file, copy of a circulation permit (gray card ) of the Ardennes prefecture n°FS27 of April 28, 1945 under n° 64 N 38, chassis 37211, for the benefit of a Drainage Company in Sedan. Cold stamp or unidentified number on the vehicle. Registration number 64 N 38 found under the paint of the front bumper. Engine replaced by Willem Diesel. Rear dual wheels. Wooden wheels. Shaft transmission. Liberty Truck, (Liberty) was not officially a truck brand in its own right, but the name adopted for a standard model of truck for the United States Army during World War I.

n 1917 the American army drew up plans for a standard heavy truck of 3 to 5 tonnes with a 4-speed transmission, to avoid the problems of disparate spare parts which required considerable stocks. (Such was the demand during World War I that more than 8,000 Libertys were sent to France and Europe). After the war, several companies in Europe converted trucks to civilian life, including Louis Willème in Nanterre. In all, more than 50,000 military trucks were sent to the front. The model we are presenting dates from 1916 and is identical to the model used by the American army during the First World War. The Vehicle has been transformed into a Drainage truck. Purchased as is by its owner years ago, and left as is, with the exception of the engine being dismantled and serviced by its mechanic. The vehicle was in working order until the summer of 2022 when it traveled by road to an event

Best Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1