Out of debt ...At last.

Karoshi

Guest matt

It's taken us long enough! shame we haven't preserved more of the aircraft and vehicles etc that were supplied to us by the USA.

Matt.

Just over $31 BILLION US. Not sure if thats the "old" billion or the "new" billion though. Either way its a fair few bob.

Lets be under NO miss-aprehension. The U.S. gave us nothing in terms of hardware, we paid for every bit of it. NOT a single piece of kit was delivered until we agreed to PAY, or trade for it!

I know who should have paid, no wonder they have always been better off than us. Not only did they not pay reparations but they got huge amounts of aid to get everything up and running again :evil:

1945 war debt to US 'almost paid'

US help to the UK was invaluable during the war

The UK will repay debts owed to the US dating from the World War II by the end of this year, the government says.

Under the lend-lease programme, which began in March 1941, the then neutral US could provide countries fighting Hitler with war material.

The US joined the war soon after - in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbour - and the programme ended in 1945.

The final payment of £45m will be made by the 31 December, meeting a 1945 obligation to repay the debt in full.

"Repayment of the war loans to the US Government is expected to be completed on December 31 2006," the Treasury's Ivan Lewis said in a written commons reply.

Did everyone forget howPresident Roosevelt explained "lend lease"?

"Your neighbour's house is on fire. He comes to you, and asks if he can have your hose. You say, 'I will not give you my hose. But I will lend it to you. You can borrow it to put out your fire. And when the fire is out, you will return it to me'".

If I was Mr. Lewis I would send Mr. Bush a hose! :D