Normandy visit.

Jack

Ok guys,

Had a great time in Normandy and loved every minute of it again this is a first for me and as usual, I am always the one that is the last to do anything so no good me banging on about what a great place it is.

I have never been to a place that has witness so much death, destruction and extreme violence but then it is also one of the most peaceful places I have been…….

Our host were exceptional and went above and beyond the call of duty. The accommodation is first class and Utah beach is a 5 minute walk from Ivy House, I laid in bed at night listening to the waves crashing onto Utah beach. Steve and Sarah also a wonderful collection of WW2 relics that they have on display, with a lot being found in one of their fields. Should also mention Steve was an extra for 8 months in Band of Brothers and can see him in many episodes and living in the heartland of the landings of the 82nd and 101st airborne then you are have a very good historian at had also. To that point Steve took us to some ‘Band of Brothers’ sites, I know that isn’t for everyone but unarguably has cut its role on WW2 history so we went to loads of airborne sites including Brecourt Manor, Liptons Tree and the place where Speirs shot those German POWs and many other 82nd and 101st sites – wonderful!

Steve also introduced as to Michel De Trez the WW2 historian and the author of many airborne books and he signed one for my daughter and he is also the owner of the Deadmans Corner Museum…..also has a cracking shop which I spent some money in.

So much to do and see in Normandy that we didn’t get that far but adored Carentan and St Mere Eglise and spent a great deal of time in both places. Went to some great bunker complexes and I was staggered at the amount of labour and materials that went into these places. Also visited the US cemetery at Omaha and also visited the German cemetery which we all found very profound and an extreme from the US one.

Nice to see amour at the museums but it did concern with the condition of some of them, outside the Utah museum there is amphibious Alligator, not sure what it was doing there but was just rusting away, rapidly. Got some pictures of inside the Shermans at Utah as we spent most evenings on the beach and the interior of the Shermans looked pretty well intact. Not sure when they placed there but looked good inside for their age.

Quote of the week was from a 83 year old veteran called Dan from the 100th division that we met at the Omaha cemetery,

’When you are in combat you are so scared that you draw in your behind so tight that you couldn’t drive a 6 inch nail through it with a sledge hammer’

See a picture of him below

To conclude, a great week and learnt so much and it something that I have been wanting to do since I was a boy but never had the time or money and this was our first family holiday ever…but between you and I, we did pop into some estates agents whilst we were there as we fell in love with the place.

One thing that soon came apparent was that no matter what rivet counters or button counters say about the right and wrong look of vehicles, weapons, uniform, when at war all of those rules went out the window, instantly.

We have booked to go back to Ivy House in October, we love it there.

Utah beach

STA41917.jpg

STA41933.jpg

STA41961.jpg

STA42108.jpg

STA42109.jpg

Utah museum

STA41956.jpg

STA41957.jpg

St Mere Eglise

STA41982.jpg

STA41998.jpg

STA42024.jpg

Sherman at Utah

STA42093.jpg

STA42095.jpg

STA42096.jpg

STA42097.jpg

M8 at Utah

STA42100.jpg

STA42101.jpg

STA42102.jpg

Half track at Utah.

STA42104.jpg

STA42105.jpg

STA42107.jpg

More to come...........................

Omaha cemetery.

STA42153.jpg

STA42149.jpg

STA42174.jpg

STA42161.jpg

STA42156.jpg

Our Hosts Steve and Sarah in their museum and lunch room.

STA42181.jpg

STA42180.jpg

Point Du Hoc.

These guys was explaining to us ( through Anne) that he was a 13 years old when the Rangers came and was telling us how rough the sea was on that day.

STA42227.jpg

STA42267.jpg

STA42215.jpg

STA42283.jpg

Brilliant story and photo's!

I've visited Normandy about 2 years ago near Arromanches but didn't get beyond Pointe du Hoc. So much to see there that you can spent weeks there and wouldn't see the same thing twice. Next year I'm going back again, now I'm absolutely sure.

Hi Jack

Thanks for posting the pics.

Been there June 11th 2000.

I met a US veteran in a museum who looked at a Dodge WC 51/or 52 with tears in his eyes.

I told him I drove one, in Holland, he was impressed and got his family and took my photo.

He told me when they were in a Dodge and a air attack took place they all dove in a ditch for cover except the driver who went onder the Dodge and drank wine.