Albion CX22S

Davie

Hi Davie,

nice to see some progress being made. Obviously you didn't spend all the weekend tipping Land Rovers then.

Looks like the winch will keep you busy for an hour or two. Looks a bit neglected doesn't it.

I haven't done anything to mine this weekend, even though it was my weekend off. Haven't been very well an had to rest. How annoying. :-(

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear you're not well Will. Hope you feel better soon.

The winch will be removed and taken into the shed for a strip down. I'm looking forward to some more mechnical stuff for a change, though I'm glad I'm tackling the cab and other tinwork first.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've not updated this for over a month, not through lack of doing things, but doing mundane things, wire brushing, blasting and painting. These things all have a feel good factor when you see the end result, but after weeks of derusting it gets a bit boring.

Today therefore, time for something different!

Radiator strip down day. The radiator had not been leaking, but I wanted to dismantle it to clean inside and, renew gaskets etc. I started with the top tank which is made of brass, and is held on with over forty 1/4" bolts. This was removed fairly easily and is in good nick. there is an old repair where the top right corner has had a bash.

Then it was off with the bottom tank, this is aluminium, and attatched by a similar number of bolts. Lurking at the bottom was a lump of blue and brown gunge, but I could now look through the tubes which are fairly clean.

I then tried removing the thermostat from it's housing, it has two tapped holes in the heavy brass body. I screwed two screws in and attempted to pull it out, all that happened was the brass started bending. I decided that maybe it didn't need to come out. Luckily Kirsty is away this weekend , so, up to the kitchen, pan of water on cooker, thermostat into pan with thermometer. At about 85C it starts to open, by 90C it's fully open. That's good enough for me. It's staying put.

I then removed the bottom outlet pipe and drain tap mounting plate, using a bit of heat as the nuts were well rusty, and I didn't want to strain the aluminium. The drain tap has seen better days, but it should be fairly easy to find another one.

All in all a pleasant and satisfying afternoons work.

DSCF0105 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0110 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0113 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0116 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0117 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0121 (Medium).jpg

The thermostats are non serviceable and have to be replaced as a unit if they are US.

Found that out trying unsuccessfully to remove the one from the Pioneer (which appears identical to that one save the body) only to find something in the manual telling me not to be so silly. I assume they are sweated into the body for some reason.

The thermostats are non serviceable and have to be replaced as a unit if they are US.

Found that out trying unsuccessfully to remove the one from the Pioneer (which appears identical to that one save the body) only to find something in the manual telling me not to be so silly. I assume they are sweated into the body for some reason.

Thanks for that info Jimh, but I've just looked at the manual and it says "lift out thermostat."

I cleaned up the top and bottom tanks this evening. The top tank really is a work of art. I wonder if she'd notice if I put it on the mantlepiece.

DSCF0105 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0106 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0111 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0109 (Medium).jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi there, did you check that the cylnder head was flat? It might be that if it's uneven, there's your problem?

For your pictures, I created an account on http://photobucket.com/ here you upload your pictures, then below each one there will be a link, you copy the lnks into your messages that you type on here. If you want to check that it's working, preview your post before you submit it.

Dear sir,

when I start her shes hissing out the head nearest the cab .

Hi mate,

good to hear from you. Perhaps the head nuts just need retorqued again. My manual states "cylinder head nuts must be checked over and tightened, if necessary daily for the first week, also after the first 250 and 1250 miles, as gaskets take an appreciable time to bed down."

I have not done much to my Albion for a while now. I've been forced to move away from our lovely farmhouse with it's huge garden and workshop, and am now in a semidetatched three bedroom rabbit hutch.

The Albion is at the moment sitting at a local woodcutters yard awaiting me building some accomodation for her at my new place. We had fun moving her, double headed by two landrover 101's, and a push up the rear from the trusty old forklift, the old girl trundled up the track to her new resting place.

All the wood in the cab is now sound, I have made new steel panels where required and am in the middle of fitting them. The winch has been removed for overhaul, and new glass has been sourced for the wind screens.

DSCF0249 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0238 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0244 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0233 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0247 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0231 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0241 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0236 (Medium).jpg

• 4 months later...

She looks pretty colourful. Has it been used in a circus or fair? Got any pics taken from the front?

Mine is still under tarps at the wood yard. I've discovered the clutch is stuck, so that's another thing to sort out.

Good to see progress. My wings are in a similar state to yours. Not looking forward to them!

Is your windscreen frame brass? My original ones were steel, totally rotten, luckily two lovely brass ones were supplied with the truck when I got it.

Good to see progress. My wings are in a similar state to yours. Not looking forward to them!

Is your windscreen frame brass? My original ones were steel, totally rotten, luckily two lovely brass ones were supplied with the truck when I got it.

Yes the windscreen frame is brass but with steel corners :cool2: I am missing a bit of the wind screen for the passengers side at the bottom but I'll splice in something else :-D,you were very lucky to get them wind screens :-\ today I finshed with the windscreen at the drivers side and now all it needs is glass.:-D

I'd like to see a photo of your albion if it would'nt be any trouble ,have you got side shields as I missing mine and I'm going to try making them :yawn:

Thanking you,

John

I think I may have a spare set of them, but can't be 100% sure till I check. All my stuff is spread far and wide at the mo, so will be two or three weeks till I know for sure.

Dear sir,

I have sent you another message but I think I messed it up so here it is again,

About those side shields, if there spare is there a chance you might sell them if so how much (in cash):-),you might let me Know if you have them or not in due course and perhaps a photo so I know what they look like if I'm to make them :cool2:

Thanking you,

John