Objection to demolition of WW2 Pillbox

I just received this email from the Pillbox Study Group

"Another planning application for the demolition of the Grade II Pillbox at Colekitchen Farm, Guildford has been received by Guildford Borough Council.

The Pillbox Study Group was paramount in getting it stopped last year and we all need to act again NOW if we are to stop this farmer succeeding this year.

You can view the planning application at:

http://www.guildford.gov.uk/acolnet

Put in the number: 08/P/01634

You must write another letter objecting to this NOW or it will be too late."

So if you also feel strongly in objecting then please send an email to

planningenquiries@guildford.gov.uk quoting the above number along with your objection.

Edited by Papav66

Just a few more details to help you with deciding.

On the planning application there is a pdf file with a detailed drawing of the pillbox.

Then if you click on the multimap link below, the pillbox is in the bottom ride hand corner of the property next to the drive, literally above the word 'kitchen' of Colekitchen, with its roof covered in vegetation.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=GU5+9QB&countryCode=GB#map=51.22779,-0.44425|20|32&loc=GB:51.22441:-0.44431:16|GU5%209QB|GU5%209QB

I just sent one asking why the council planners let the demolition of a WW2 pillbox even get as far as the planning consultation process, i should very much doubt they would even consider the levelling of an iron age burial mound or the remnants of a middle age fort, so why does this get treated differently, because its made of concrete and more recent history?

If you were thinking of objecting but not sure what to write then how about something along the lines of:

I wish to object to the proposal, on the grounds that this Pillbox is an important piece of history and serves as a reminder of British Land Defences constructed during the 1940's for WW2 and must be preserved for future generations.

It was sited there as its location was considered a strategic position to defend Colekitchen lane, which is now a public right of way.

Many pillboxes have already been demolished before their historical importance had been recognised so we must save the remaining few. Many were and are inaccessible on private farmland, but as this particular one is on a public right of way its one of the few that gives the general public the opportunity to walk past and view without intrusion.

This 2nd planning application proposes to demolish and merely mark its location. Removing the heritage of Colekitchen Lane is unacceptable.

Although marking the site, would show the original location, it would completely destroy the strategic setting. Future generations walking in the area, will not be able to see the strategic location from a outline plan in a garden, even if it that was visible at all from the lane.

If anyone else has other valid points then please post to help others.

I will also try and find out what type of design the pillbox is to see how rare that type is. In the mean time here's a pic & its certainly not an eyesore.

ColeKitchen.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Cant understand the mentality of these people,looks like nice place bags of room,they should remember the sacrifices made to allow them to live and obtain a nice place,and clean it up and be proud of it.

Cant understand the mentality of these people,looks like nice place bags of room,they should remember the sacrifices made to allow them to live and obtain a nice place,and clean it up and be proud of it.

Spot on CW, if I lived near I'd be beating a path to their door to tell 'em just that only probably rather more strongly:argh:

Spot on CW, if I lived near I'd be beating a path to their door to tell 'em just that only probably rather more strongly:argh:

I supose they may not be British:argh: but in my mind the councill should of protected all of these years ago.and the schools should of took the kids to see them,if we deny the kids history ,we condem them to make the same mistakes.

the councill should of protected all of these years ago.

CW they have porotected this one - that's why it needs planning permission

It currently has grade 2 listed building status which does put a number of strong hurdles in the way

The acknowledgement to my letter says that if they get 10 objections it has to go before the full planning committee so could go either way once the politicians get involved

"If we receive 10 or more letters or email that disagree with the officer's recommendation, this application will be considered at Committee. I will notify you in due course of the Committee at which the application will be

considered and the procedure to be followed if you wish to speak at the meeting."

sadly its my neighbouring council so I won't have the added power of being a rate payer but I'll let you know what happens

Posted elsewhere by LEI-12-HG

This is not 'just another pillbox'. It is important because it forms a surviving example of one of the defences of a nodal point defensive system, which in the case of Shere, comprised of 18 WW2 anti-invasion defensive features, including an anti-tank ditch, a rare concrete roadblock and a perimeter of pillboxes.

To find an intact, surviving example of a defended nodal point is rare indeed. Nodal points were points of defence, often called anti-tank islands. They were a conglomeration of defences to hold up an invading army. Few complete nodal points survive today.

The reason why this site is particularly important, is because this nodal point was on the GHQ Line – Britain’s very last line of defence to stop the invaders breaking inland. The Shere nodal point was particularly vital to the GHQ Line because of its location and is mentioned on page 73 of ‘Ironside’s Line: The General Headquarters Line 1940-1942’ by Colin Alexander, Historic Military Press (1998): ‘Particular attention was given to the defences closing Combe Lane, Colekitchen Lane and White Downs Lane. …the defenders were rewarded with excellent views across the A25…’

The latest thinking in academic archaeological circles is that although individual surviving examples of sites are important, groupings of defences within their historic environment, showing the context of how a system worked are even more important. See the latest book by the Council for British Archaeology ‘Beaches, Fields, Streets, and Hills: The Anti-Invasion Landscapes of England, 1940’ by Dr William Foot (2006)

This particular pillbox, a Type FW3/24, is listed on the Council for British Archaeology’s Defence of Britain online database at:

http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/specColl/dob/ai_full_r.cfm?refno=10049&CFID=676627&CFTOKEN=78552193

It reveals that this pillbox was designed to give covering fire to a nearby anti-tank ditch.

It is clear that the applicants are only trying to have the pillbox demolished for personal aesthetic reasons, rather than it being an obstruction or detrimentally affecting the structure of their house.

So if you haven't objected yet, please consider doing so before its too late, cheers Paul

• 3 weeks later...
Campaign appears to be going well with 94 objections & only 2 in favour, last day to register is tomorrow 3rd Oct then decision due on the 17th Oct.

Lets hope common sense prevails ,everthing crossed.:sweat:

• 3 weeks later...

Hurray, they have seen sense and taken note of our objections & refused permission. So for those who supported this, give yourself a pat on the back!

If you want to see the reasons then here is the link, its quite lengthy:

http://www.guildford.gov.uk/DLDC_Version_2/acolnetcgi.gov?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeOfficerReport&TheSystemkey=101978

Edited by Papav66