Bodge's Busy Weekend

Jessie The Jeep

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pay for the running costs by selling burgers on the side? Intresting looker, isn't the back of weapons carrier that bit short to sleep in though? My feet hang out the end. I'd be interested in construction details though, I've thought about a hard back and cab with canvas over the top for a while.

Since the secret of the burger van is out, I'll post a few under construction pictures, and leave Bodge to post the final 'being painted' pics.

There were a few requirements of the box that needed a bit of thinking through before we started. These mainly involved visibility for driving, as Roop usually has the side canvas rolled up to see through the rear quarters of the vehicle. As a result, the side panels of the box were designed to hinge down flat against the body side, from the height of the bench seat back rests.

The original wood bows were retained and the 1/2 inch ply sides bolted to them, with the upper part held by three hinges, and coach bolts to secure shut. The ply roof was also glued and bolted to the bows, although a 1/2 inch thick packing piece was required to lift the roof clear of the metal corner fittings.

flying_control7.jpg

The rear of the vehicle was going to have twin doors, similar to the Dodge Ambulance, mounted above the tail gate. Again, to improve driving visibility, they would be fitted with removable pin hinges so the doors can come off while being driven.

A 4 inch strip of ply was glued and screwed across the top of the front and back of the body, which began to stiffen up the structure. A strip of wood behind here stops the doors from opening inward. A panel down each side were glued and screwed to the rear bow, carefully cut around the rear body metalwork, with stripwood reinforcing behind where the hinges would be fixed.

flying_control12.jpg

The plywood laminated boomerangs were glued to the front and back horizontal boards, standing slightly proud of the metal curved bow corner fittings. This would allow planks of wood to be glued and nailed around the curve giving a nicer shape to the body than square sides, and this would also allow the canvas back to be still fitted over the body if desired.

One door is hung and several of the planks around the curve can be seen fitted to the left side.

flying_control16.jpg

With all the planking done around the corners, there was a flat strip about 5 inches high needed to complete the side down to the top of the opening panel. This was cut from 1/2 inch ply again. ( the 5 sheets of ply having come from a skip outside a church - for a small donation ).

The second door is seen hung here, and shows it's stiffening frame on the inside. When both doors are closed, the tailgate holds them in place, as it slightly overlaps the doors at their bottom edge. Both sides are seen here folded down in their driving position.

flying_control25.jpg

Last bit for now is the viewing dome. Bodge was originally looking for a Canberra nose piece as it was a similar shape to a B-17 or B-26 nose piece that were often used. However another opportunity showed itself, and another deal was done to aquire this 2 feet diameter Avro Anson astro dome. This was bolted to a ply hatch which is removable to allow the canvas to be fitted over the rear body. Also it could keep the vehicle height down during transit in case of low bridges, trees etc, around the lake district.

The next bit is the painting and stencilling which I'll leave to 'his Bodgeship'.

Steve

flying_control26.jpg

Great creativity in the making of the rear body work ! But were are the modification being done ? seems to be a park or conervation area ? is that a peacock I see in the next to last photo?

Looks more like the hind leg of a giant tortoise to me.:rofl:

Looking good! You're quite handy! Now it's starting to look like a norwegian postwar version.

39_1849834988-1.jpg

39_542140459-1.jpg

I like your better since you haven't done anything to the chassis or have that ugly cabin.

Btw the one photographed was for sale earlier this summer here in norway.

Marty

Not wanting to be left out of the checkers game, I asked Mrs Jessie what she thought about checking the jeep. She said no, she liked the green! So the next best compromise was a new roof canvas for £20, and two tins of black and white paint ( and around 20 hours work ).

It's still wet, so no fitted pics yet, but it is most likely to make its first appearance with Bodges truck at Jeeps & Jets at the NE Aircraft Museum on Aug 16/17th.

fc_jeep5.jpg