Section W10 of the VAOS

raf

You'll be lucky, sadly little importance seems to be attached to preserving VAOS as far as libraries go. There are a few VAOS sections in the REME Museum. I regularly search for all types of VAOS on internet databases & military booksellers, it is very unusual to find any. Searches that include the words Ordnance Stores yield vast numbers of hits that relate to the American Civil War which is of no interest to me whatsoever!

I have Section W10 1986 & 1995, was there anything in particular you wanted to look up? Irrespective of the date of publication the Army Code No.14994 is retained so presumably you need WO Code No.14994.

The dates you mention are known dates of publication I assume? If not I have annual catalogues of Government publications that go back to 1894 that will usually list WO publications for a given year.

PS In my excitement of seeing someone else interested in VAOS, I should have said my W10s are in COSA which means the items will be most likely NATO codified.

OG we have corresponded before I think about bridging publications. The problem I think is that the info you are after will be in RE publications rather than WO publications from HMSO. I had that problem with obtaining a CREM that I initially ordered through DSDC that was forwarded to RE publications, but took a year to arrive!

Anyway I have looked through the Catalogue of Government Publications for 1955, 1956 & 1957. Fortunately there is an index, listed are publications for War Department, War Office & MOD (contrary to popular belief the MOD was in existence prior to 1964)

1956 & 1957 under WO publications it includes supplements (demolitions & water supply) to the RE Pocket Book but that's all.

Hi Clive,

I think you've misunderstood me mate. Last time we talked I wanted to know if you had a copy of:

VAOS "Section E2 : Bridging Equipment, 1945" which includes "amendment no. 1 dated 1947, no. 2 dated 1949, no. 3 dated 1949 and no. 4 dated 1950"

or, a copy of 

REVoS Group 4, Section 5, Sub-Section 4: Bridging, published sometime around 1955-7 and with a code WO 6386 .

The hunt for these goes on but I do know that you do not have them.

What I'm actually looking for now is a full list of WO publications for RE specific titles in the Military Engineering, Vol. III series.

I do know that very many of these were being re-written by early 1950's to update them with lessons learnt in the war. Indeed "ME, Vol III, Part 1, Bridging" appeared in 1957. I've not seen a full list of all these publications from that period so was wondering if you might have those in your catalogue.

If, on the other hand, you're telling me that these don't actually appear in your catalogue then thank you for looking and I shall endeavour to search out a full list when I next get to TNA.

Pete

Pete I'm sorry if I misunderstood you, I just had a recollection that you had an interest in Bridging & VAOS. Daily I receive requests for information & it is difficult keep up with people's particular requirements, as it is I will have spent 2 hours this morning just responding to queries.

In these Government catalogues, I now notice that all of the publications are priced. That means they are available for public purchase & that since 1924 they would have received a SO Code No to define the publication exactly in the days before ISBN. Strangely this HMSO catalogue doesn't use the SO Code No, nor does it use the WO Code No nor the WO Registry No before that.

So it seems of the vast amount of WO publications published each year, we are only going to see things that are fit for public eyes. What is needed is the catalogue of WO publications that appear in WO Code No.12123 that is split into 5 parts.

I have Part I from 1972 & a lot of others from more modern times.

We've wandered of the original poster's thread but the above would explain that VAOS Sections would not be something available for public purchase & hence listing in such catalogues.

I will look in COSA W10 & see what its got but that will be for another day, I'm done my quota for today, going out into the sunshine whilst we have it :)

Dsc02129.thumb.jpg.1b5affb4f3944d476d249aef5bc8bdd9.jpgDsc02128.thumb.jpg.9fad47f0b36a5abfc1d9c5025178c9a2.jpg

I forgot to say the other source of WO Coded publications introduced or deleted, would be Army Council Instructions that were published pretty much monthly.

I have very few ACIs, but I have a fair number the much later incarnation of DCI (Army) & it does include RE publications & EMERs.

Looking in COSA W10 there are no manufacturers listed. Everything is NATO codified but there is one item listed Watch, hand set 6645-99-961-4204 used in Watch W10/VB/10036 Timer

But that is the only entry associated with a VAOS coded W10 item.