Leyland Martian - steering system problem

Leyland Martian - how to charge steering system

Anyone any ideas how to charge the steering system ? Any help would be appreciated.

When i bought this it came with a cylinder and an adaptor for charging the steering system. I've looked everywhere but can't seem to find where / how to do this. I've checked everything an everything else seems to work fine apart from the steering which seems very heavy as power assist is not working.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Terry

Hi Terry,

This is what is known as an accumulator, the Saracen and Saladin armoured vehicles also had three of them for steering and brakes. Another vehicle that had one was the Routemaster bus, so if you know anyone who owns one of  these vehicles they will be able to help I would think. In the army they were charged with Dry Compressed Air, the Saracen was charged to 500 psi and suspect the Martian was the same. It is too many years I last worked on a Martian, I seem to recall the accumulator is under the cab on drivers side, and a bit awkward to access.. You can easily get Nitrogen to charge as a substitute.

Hope this is of help to you.

regards, Richard

26 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Terry,

This is what is known as an accumulator, the Saracen and Saladin armoured vehicles also had three of them for steering and brakes. Another vehicle that had one was the Routemaster bus, so if you know anyone who owns one of  these vehicles they will be able to help I would think. In the army they were charged with Dry Compressed Air, the Saracen was charged to 500 psi and suspect the Martian was the same. It is too many years I last worked on a Martian, I seem to recall the accumulator is under the cab on drivers side, and a bit awkward to access.. You can easily get Nitrogen to charge as a substitute.

Hope this is of help to you.

regards, Richard

Yes, under the cab on driver's side, there was a mod to fit an extra one as it was all too easy to run out of power assist.

This should help Terry.  From an original user handbook that is now loose leaf as the staples have rusted away.

Are you in the UK and do you have any pics of your truck ?

Iain

Martian 1.jpg

This is from the recovery vehicle handbook not sure if all are the same.

Edited by Mk3iain
add a bit

On 9/20/2019 at 8:03 AM, Mk3iain said:

This should help Terry.  From an original user handbook that is now loose leaf as the staples have rusted away.

Are you in the UK and do you have any pics of your truck ?

Iain

Martian 1.jpg

This is from the recovery vehicle handbook not sure if all are the same.

All types are the same. Well unless there happens to be a rogue with the Mk1 system still in place.