Truck Caravan Commanders Berth 3/4 t 16 GN 07 Carawagon

Well, where to start? I guess if you have not see anything before you need the back story on the build up over four years before I finally landed the vehicle. That can be read here

So, what next, I guess the best place is to post a picture of what the end state will be one day, this pictures was passed to me by someone whose name I have now forgotten. There are  many interesting details I have picked out which I will highlight later.

Carawagon 08 in service.jpg

Edited by robin craig
photo

I was privileged to be allowed to use the float trailer from work to go get the vehicle, thanks to my boss for that.

My aims are as follows:-

1 To secure the vehicle as best I can from any further degradation

2 Gather parts and information to aid in the restoration

3 Finish my garage to allow restoration to begin

So for those of you who don't know me, I am way more busy than is healthy for me, I cant sit still and one interest isn't enough, so it seems. No is not a word that I like to hear.

Things have developed in twists and turns that I can not believe.

Firstly, I took off the hoops and parts that were put on it to make it into a soft top. This was done by PA Blanchards who sold the vehicle to the first owner here in Canada as he wanted a low mileage clean LHD S3 vehicle and chose this one. This is not a theory, I spoke with Nick Blanchard by phone who recalled it. I also have the paperwork for the sale at the time that is noted to that effect.

The donated hard top has gone on, the side panels aren't right but I have located a pair of those. A rear door was sourced locally and is strapped in place.

carawagon recovery 01.jpg

Carawagon 10.jpg

Carawagon 11.jpg

While initially I was not a fan of Facebook I have to admit having gone to the dark side and actually benefited from that hugely.

I am a member of Ottawa Valley Land Rovers here in Ontario, Canada and it is through the generosity of its members far and wide I have secured a whole bunch of parts at little or no cost. A huge debt of gratitude is owed by myself to folks like Bruce Ricker for a whole set of sprigs, And rew Jones for a steering wheel, seat parts and a windscreen assembly, John Havey and Ringo the attack dog for a set of wheels and 7.50 X 16 tyres, Michel Gagne and Vern Fairhead for the rear door.

Knowing the existing 6.50 X 16 tyres had to go and they others should go on led me to pull the existing wheels and tyres and take them and the donated set to a local shop and have all of them dismounted and a survey of the wheels done. We found some rotting some of the wheels and selected some of the originals and a couple of the donated ones as the best set and I took them out for sand blasting and painting.

I chose a gloss finish using an NOS part with a Deep Bronze Green on it, we had found that as the base colour on the original FV wheels

The tyres have now been mounted and maybe soon they will go back onto the vehicle to make it roll again.

carawagon wheels 03.jpg

carawagon wheels 02.jpg

Carawagon wheels 04.jpg

• Like 2

Part of Robin's cunning plan is to refer to another Carawagon example. Trouble is, its on another continent...

Solution?

Robin asked me to see if I could scan another Carawagon here in the UK. He put me in touch with the owner and I nipped along to scan it.

Not only could I scan it, but with scale bars and reference I reckoned I could get a 3D model about as accurate as it could be.

Which is what we have here:

Carawagon in 3D

The total estimated error is ±0.3mm overall. Which is far better than the original manufacturing tolerances I reckon. To that extent I think the scanned Carawagon wheelbase is 10mm out...my next visit will check that.

There is more work as I need to sort the model with roof raised and to shoot more images of the front camo net. But the principle is proved.

Then I can start pulling the ortho photos off each view. These are massive images at a scale of 1:1 so any measurement you like can be taken. I will post up some lower res examples in a bit to give folks an idea what I mean.

Its a tough project, but rather touched Robin asked me to get involved. 

Simon Brown, thank you for explaining that to the rest of the gang, I am salivating out here on my slow download speed internet on our island, the model tab crashed once already.

Yes, so Simon is going to have full vehicle inside and out that I can use to make up scale drawings of everything.

As I am from the Airfix generation there is nothing like a challenge and "insert tab D2 into opening A5"

Peakrec thank you for those photos, you didn't happen to touch base with the owner did you? Would love to connect with other owners.

The vehicle that Simon went to measure is owned by Tony Knott who is on this forum and I would like to thank him for allowing Simon to go do his thing.

Edited by robin craig
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SimonBrown said:

Part of Robin's cunning plan is to refer to another Carawagon example. Trouble is, its on another continent...

Solution?

Robin asked me to see if I could scan another Carawagon here in the UK. He put me in touch with the owner and I nipped along to scan it.

Not only could I scan it, but with scale bars and reference I reckoned I could get a 3D model about as accurate as it could be.

Which is what we have here:

Carawagon in 3D

The total estimated error is ±0.3mm overall. Which is far better than the original manufacturing tolerances I reckon. To that extent I think the scanned Carawagon wheelbase is 10mm out...my next visit will check that.

There is more work as I need to sort the model with roof raised and to shoot more images of the front camo net. But the principle is proved.

Then I can start pulling the ortho photos off each view. These are massive images at a scale of 1:1 so any measurement you like can be taken. I will post up some lower res examples in a bit to give folks an idea what I mean.

Its a tough project, but rather touched Robin asked me to get involved. 

Fantastic, every time you put an image up I have a look. still getting to grips on how to rotate it, usually second view is the underside

Richard

• Like 1

Dont visit too often its my carawagon Simon and Robin have been playing with! Nice to see it almost in the flesh so to speak amazing how it shows up marks and fittings in such detail! I think Simon said it was around 600 pictures to produce it. Must have the acorn done then he can print me off a nice model of it!!!!

• Like 1

Hi, sorry I didn't see the owner, the Rover is full of all the kit, infact you can not see the inside for all the gear. Looks a lovely rover and a lot of time has been spent collecting a great display.

• 4 years later...

It has been a while, I know. The vehicle is safely dry stored in our garage as I finish the outside. Two years ago a complete roof assembly for a Carawagon, Commanders Caravan or Command Post I wasn't sure but really not that picky as it saves me the effort of making one from the drawings and scratch. It was located in North Carolina which is 14 hours drive without pit stops and about 1500 kilometers from me up here in Canada.Covid also got in the way. I maanged to get it moved to New Jersey earlier this year. A week ago I made the trip down and knew I was going to be solo with no mechanical aids. I loaded this myself using cunning and guile. A cabinet came with it as a useful aide. I expect over this winter I will try to have a go at roof repair in our heated basement during a cold Canadian winter if I can mount it on a frame / rotiseri. Another slow advancement.

Carawagon roof load up.jpeg

Carawagon roof loaded.jpeg

carawagon cabinet.jpeg

carawagon roof unloaded.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I have, over the past number of years been taught time and again that the truth is stranger than fiction. I have also been taught to ask the stupid question that no one asks.

I have always known that my vehicle features in a book by James Taylor showing it in Antwerp while in service. Recently I emailed James and asked him if he could let me have a decent copy of that image but moreover were there any other images from that time.

Well, surprised and overjoyed are words that spring to mind when I received other external view of my vehicle and the interior. I am reproducing them here with my crude watermark to them.

Winter is fast approaching here with first frost tonight. I am making plans for how and where the roof will spend the winter.

Slowly progress is being made

James taylor Carawagon 01.jpg

James Taylor Carawagon 02.jpg

james taylor carawagon 03.jpg

James Taylor Carawagon 04.jpg

james taylor carawagon 05.jpg

Edited by robin craig
  • Like 1

Richard,

Thank you ever so much for posting that. Yes I was aware of it but still I thank you. I am planning on treating myself for Christmas to the RLC records for it as I feel the two will span different years and make a more complete history.

Can you decode or tell me anything about the Merlin entries as to where or who those were with? I am thinking some kind of RCT unit?

Edited by robin craig