Land Rover hard top to soft top

Surveyor

It is just possible that such instructions could exist in the form of a Standard Operation Breakdown. I have a number of these & they give the order of the Elements to be carried out in the Operation & the time in mins for each Element to be completed.

Given that I have one such SOB that gives the instructions to remove 4 bolts within 1.47 minutes, it is quite possible that there is a SOB for hard top removal & a SOB for fitting a soft top. Each having an individual Operation Code which is necessary to authorise a SOB.

The 'Forward' Operation Codes can be constructed from EMER MANAGEMENT J 021 Part 1 Operation Codes for Vehicles. 1H10 relates to canopy & 1H11 to canopy frame. Removal, replacement, or stripping of mechanical assemblies adds X31 or if it was a role conversion X34. Suffix A would indicate a repair by a VM or suffix B a renewal by a VM.

The equipment & not just vehicles, would have a 'Forward' Management Code quoted, these were REME speak for what at one time were called Asset Codes.

13 hours ago, fv1609 said:

It is just possible that such instructions could exist in the form of a Standard Operation Breakdown. I have a number of these & they give the order of the Elements to be carried out in the Operation & the time in mins for each Element to be completed.

Given that I have one such SOB that gives the instructions to remove 4 bolts within 1.47 minutes, it is quite possible that there is a SOB for hard top removal & a SOB for fitting a soft top. Each having an individual Operation Code which is necessary to authorise a SOB.

The 'Forward' Operation Codes can be constructed from EMER MANAGEMENT J 021 Part 1 Operation Codes for Vehicles. 1H10 relates to canopy & 1H11 to canopy frame. Removal, replacement, or stripping of mechanical assemblies adds X31 or if it was a role conversion X34. Suffix A would indicate a repair by a VM or suffix B a renewal by a VM.

The equipment & not just vehicles, would have a 'Forward' Management Code quoted, these were REME speak for what at one time were called Asset Codes.

Thanks, I suppose that the MoD would buy a hard top and not look at changing to a soft top and vice versa

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519224/DE_S_FOI2016_03001___Attachment-_Truck_Utility_Light__TUL__HS__Truck_Utility_Medium__TUM__HS__and__Ambulance_HS_Defender.pdf

=================================

It would have happened but not often.  It was all quite clever for Defender TUL/TUM  , Wolf

The  "Pick-N-Mix"  was more decisive at Contract stage and line build up at Solihull,than with Series models and is best reflected in the Contract / Item Numbers.  The best document (I am having difficulty just now) is the  "Supplementary Parts book"  , this shows the parts selectable to build up say a FFR from a Basic Utility.   They took what was base vehicle  90" / 110"  more or less a CL  (Commercial regular )  CL =   C--------L

Once the vehicle was issued , then they could select from the "Supplementary (Optional Equipment) book   ,  it is a case of bolting the MOD Supplementary Parts Book to the Commercial (as civvy basic Parts Book ) Parts book.

The 'Supplementary' book is good because - up to the print date there is a MATRIX , you read off the Contract /Item Nos. look across and it tells you what the Supplementary major assemblies / kits are fitted.

The Project Tithonus (extended life) - was a more official Pick-N-Mix.

In real life - assembly of 'sticks' on tub . would be peruse the Parts Book appropriate & use your loaf.   A sticks KIT + hood would be drawn from stores & I would expect a printed sheet or two of Parts check-list and assembly instructions.

Edited by ruxy

6 hours ago, ruxy said:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519224/DE_S_FOI2016_03001___Attachment-_Truck_Utility_Light__TUL__HS__Truck_Utility_Medium__TUM__HS__and__Ambulance_HS_Defender.pdf

It would have happened but not often.  It was all quite clever for Defender TUL/TUM  , Wolf

The  "Pick-N-Mix"  was more decisive at Contract stage and line build up at Solihull,than with Series models and is best reflected in the Contract / Item Numbers.  The best document (I am having difficulty just now) is the  "Supplementary Parts book"  , this shows the parts selectable to build up say a FFR from a Basic Utility.   They took what was base vehicle  90" / 110"  more or less a CL  (Commercial regular )  CL =   C--------L

Once the vehicle was issued , then they could select from the "Supplementary (Optional Equipment) book   ,  it is a case of bolting the MOD Supplementary Parts Book to the Commercial (as civvy basic Parts Book ) Parts book.

The 'Supplementary' book is good because - up to the print date there is a MATRIX , you read off the Contract /Item Nos. look across and it tells you what the Supplementary major assemblies / kits are fitted.

In real life - assembly of 'sticks' on tub . would be peruse the Parts Book appropriate & use your loaf.   A sticks KIT + hood would be drawn from stores & I would expect a printed sheet or two of Parts check-list and assembly instructions.

Ruxy

Many thanks does answer some questions

Richard

One possible place to look would be related to the troubles in Northern Ireland. I remember a lot of vehicles getting "armoured" at a nearby REME facility. The armour for an LR consisted of a fiberglass roof, bonnet, wings, doors and lower body. I don't know what the upper body sides were made of but they appeared to have a wood grain. This could have been due to brush painting as much as anything. Both Bedford RL and MJ's were armoured up at this time.

Rob D.

On 4/25/2019 at 10:59 AM, ruxy said:

In real life - assembly of 'sticks' on tub . would be peruse the Parts Book appropriate & use your loaf.   A sticks KIT + hood would be drawn from stores & I would expect a printed sheet or two of Parts check-list and assembly instructions

8 hours ago, sterling1961 said:

One possible place to look would be related to the troubles in Northern Ireland. I remember a lot of vehicles getting "armoured" at a nearby REME facility. The armour for an LR consisted of a fiberglass roof, bonnet, wings, doors and lower body. I don't know what the upper body sides were made of but they appeared to have a wood grain. This could have been due to brush painting as much as anything. Both Bedford RL and MJ's were armoured up at this time.

Rob D.

Rob

Had a site of the asset plate says FFR, the only thing is the picture supplied show no candle stick holders, wing attachment or the sleeve in the rear

Richard

The VPK  (fibreglass vehicle protection kits that even the stick set was clad with)  as used in NI would be on Series based Rovers,  the entry of the 'coilers' was probably the  'Snatch'  - Vixen range by CAV having a composite armour (no stick set).    90"'110"  stick-sets are a bit more complex than Series due to standard ROPS  more incorporated.   ROPS on  88" & 109" is very similar to the  101"  design  - but painted silver (not galvanized) ,  very few had them , the odd Para Recce Lightweight  (that had no sticks at all)  .   ROPS with sticks on Series seemed to be a requirement for the Training Area in Canada.

Edited by ruxy
spelin