Insurance for Harley

Jeepstar

Hi Steve, thanks for replying much appreciated. No I don't have any other bikes, this is the first of I hope many - provided the wife doesn't find out. 

I phoned one insurance company that used to insure the Jeep with, they wanted £311 for laid up policy and £230 for third party fire and theft! Nuts or what? I spoke to my insurance company I'm using for the Jeep and they offered £80 till renewal in March which seemed sensible seeing I'm new to biking. Anyway I might go with them. BTW if I was thinking of buying a British wartime service bike, what would be your choosing? 

Regards Andy

The M20 is the most prolific and robust amongst the WD bikes and reasonably easy for parts. I've had mine over 30 years. (it's 600cc now)  Like Steve, my 741 is not my most favorite bike to ride. You could do worse than join the MVT and get military vehicle insurance deals from firms like 'Roadsure' Adrian Flux' Cherished vehicle insurance' Ect. Ron 

M20 484.jpg

741B 101.jpg

As with all old bikes they are reliable if you look after them, main thing is to have a good magneto for a good spark on Brit bikes.

as Ron said his is a 600 so a fair bit faster than mine but strangely when we was in Normandy his was more economical, to be honest I don't do much over forty because of the brakes, but the Indian is no better

reagrsd steve

Hello Steve and Ron, are you saying the M20 would be the next buy after the Harley? As being the most robust and value for money? Obviously being made in large quantities and having a postwar production does mean it being harder to find a wartime model that is relatively complete of postwar parts. Or am I being picky? BTW Ron I am I the MVT but am a total novice to bikes. I need educating?

Regards Andy

Hi andy

i think it's not about the bsa, for me personally its finding a ww2 bike that is original as you can get, I don't want a bike that is 80% original and the rest made in China or wherever, I need to feel and touch the history, my Indian is poorly but very original and my 44 mb jeep is in a sorry state but 100% original, that's what's important to me, others may differ and that's ok

i also like to run my veh's as they were built, so no modern electronics, no conversion to 12 volts etc, but that's just me, I suppose I am lucky because I have been a mechanic all my life

regards steve

Hi Andy

I think you will find that most British Ex-WD bikes fetch similar money for bikes in similar condition so you go  for the one that takes your fancy.  But in terms of 'comfort' (that term used very considerately 🙂 ) then possibly the Matchless was  the one most favoured by the wartime squaddies as it has tele forks.  That said, by far the most used was the BSA, with 3 out of every 4 wartime bikes being a product of Birmingham's finest !   I'd go for a Beeza every time, if only because parts are still obtainable and they are comparitively easy bikes to work on and there is a first rate website forum devoted to these bikes.  I wouldn't spend money on a Norton as the 16H was an old fashioned bugger by 1939 and they are not to be viewed through the same rose tinted specs as such as a Manx is.  Other guys will tell you different.  Steve makes a fair point about originality, but you can still buy (at a price) original BSA parts so it is possible to 'keep the faith'.

Ho Steve and John,

thanks for the replies, totally agree with you both about originality, I'd rather run with a worn rundown piece of kit that has history than a new shiny piece of tin with no history. My friend in France has an original Jeep that he has let time take its toll, and it gets more looks than one that is factory finished. He's written on the side if it 'rust in peace' . I think I'll start looking for an M20 though I'm in no hurry. 

All the best and hope to see you at the shows,

andy