Royal Naval Divison. 1914

Tony B

Vehicles of No. 2 Armoured Car Squadron, Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS), they are  1914Talbot Armored Cars. Known as the "Admiralty Talbots", these armored cars were among the touring vehicles acquired by the RNAS at the beginning of WW1.    

post-9885-1249823481.jpeg

armdca10.jpg

i198064.jpg

e0af34546cae498fcc483b0d69555d43.jpg

Edited by lynx42 Rick Cove

It is highly likely that both versions are correct. These 'Armoured Cars' are exactly that, with hastily added armour plate fitted to large touring car chassis of the period, which were either commandeered, or donated to the RND. The term' stop gap' springs to mind and the effectiveness of these vehicles must have been doubtful at best ?

Fair enough. My concerns from the pictures, would be as follows;   

Apart from the driver's 'box', there is no crew protection, not even a shield for the gunner.

The extra weight is causing overheating problems, leading to the bonnets being left open and exposure of the radiators and engines.

The headlamps are completely unprotected.

None of this of course, detracts from the bravery of the poor sods who had to go to war in these !

Many of the early armoured cars were simply armour plates attached to the chassisof a  touring car.

The Belgian Minerva, for example. A little more advanced, in that it had an armoured door to close the radiator off & a small shield for the gunner. http://www.landships.info/landships/car_articles.html?load=car_articles/Minerva.html

Thanks for that. Whole new interest opening up. The other point is that the MG is a Maxim or Vickers Maxim , not had the chance to look up which one yet. Looks like the 1904 model. RN used them on two wheeled carriage mount originally. Tomo , the usual answer Improvise Adapted and Overcome. Apprently two of the buses they used were armoure dwith boiler plate, making them the first wheeled self proppeled APC, and two others were outfitted as hospitals. I belive about thirty went to Antwerp, those that survived were taken into German service.

Edited by Tony B

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:49 PM, lynx42 Rick Cove said:

Vehicles of No. 2 Armoured Car Squadron, Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS), they are  1914Talbot Armored Cars. Known as the "Admiralty Talbots", these armored cars were among the touring vehicles acquired by the RNAS at the beginning of WW1.    

post-9885-1249823481.jpeg

armdca10.jpg

i198064.jpg

e0af34546cae498fcc483b0d69555d43.jpg

Looks like a civilian Daimler CB22 following .

• 9 months later...

There's a very good read in "Samson and the Dunkirk Circus" by John Oliver, which covers the creation and use of the armoured vehicles in this thread. I've been trying to model some of them, starting with Samson's conversions of London buses to armoured personnel carriers and self propelled gun. The work was carried out in a Dunkirk shipyard.

Steve

51 APC.jpg

43 Nearly finished.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious . . . you said you made this from Shapeways.  Was it something they produce as a kit or is it one-of-a-kind 3d model?  If the latter, dis you supply drawings to them or do you have a suitable 3-D system at home?  Would you supply us with additional details including process, time, cost, et cetera.  You've showed us some wonderful models and much impressed . . . and more than a bit envious of your work!

Bosun Al

15 hours ago, BosunAl said:

I'm curious . . . you said you made this from Shapeways.  Was it something they produce as a kit or is it one-of-a-kind 3d model?  If the latter, dis you supply drawings to them or do you have a suitable 3-D system at home?  Would you supply us with additional details including process, time, cost, et cetera.  You've showed us some wonderful models and much impressed . . . and more than a bit envious of your work!

Bosun Al

I didn't draw up the gun, this is the link to the ones I bought;   https://www.shapeways.com/product/SB3L5GBCZ/3-pounder-x-4-1-72?option=40513481&etId=190519712&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=payment-received&utm_content=7

I cut the gun off the shapeways mounting post and stuck it at an angle on the kit post, and made the shield. It's not pivoted at the right point, but if you don't look too closely it doesn't show.

I've not found a picture that shows the top of the Seabrook, so I don't know if the drivers position was on the left or right. As an American chassis I'd assume the left but the drivers cupola is always on the right- did it slide across so the driver could get in and out?

I do have a 3D CAD program and have done some drawings. When you upload them to shapeways you get shown how they will look when printed, and costs for the different materials. All the drawings I did were for truck wheels, but they were too fine for the print process at 1/72 scale, so I didn't carry on. Did some castings instead. Wire wheels are even more fun, but not impossible to make from scratch.

Steve

Wheels 2.jpg

9 hours ago, lynx42 Rick Cove said:

Are these your models or is someone else making them as well.  (Found on Col's Models.)

RN Lineup.jpg

No, nothing to do with me. Similar but different, who knows who is right? He may have got the rear of the APC better than I did, but I'm not so sure about the plating around the cab. The wheel is a bit too heavy on the spokes, as is the Seabrook.  The Seabrook also looks a bit flat on top around the gun. The Rolls-Royces look OK , again apart from the wheels!

Steve

APC samson lorry.jpg

Seabrook 14-B-5 5ton Hotchkiss 3pdr.png

RR AC 1914turMaximHaugh (1).jpg