20180811_145639.jpg

20180811_145714.jpg

20180811_145738.jpg

Edited by dgrev
Adding photos.

22 answers to this question

Chris.

Thank you for that.

Now I know the terminology I have done a web search and see that there is also a H83 that other than 2 bumps in the lid appears identical to a NATO .50cal ammo box.

But why is a H84 not the same as the NATO M19A1 (I have finally found a designation for it) 7.62mm ammo box?

To answer your question. The H84 fits neither the .30cal turret mount in my Ferret Mk2 or the external remote mount from a Ferret Mk1. Actually, I have never seen a mount designed to take a H84, they are all sized for the M19A1 box.

Regards

Doug

Edited by dgrev

Is the H84 bigger than the .30 cal cradle? I would expect the H84 to drop in but be loose. The .30 would have used the M1 ammo box which is much bigger due to the rounds being longer. I would suspect a GPMG Mount would have a cradle for a H84

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-general-purpose-machine-gun-gpmg-turrett-mounted-on-a-royal-navy-ship-69827572.html

Edited by Chris Hall

Just read that the M19 and M19a1 are for the .30 cal and developments of the M1 can. With the intro of the M60 to US service they continued to use the .30 cal cans but with 7.62mm. Does your green can have marking to suggest where it originated? It doesn’t have British markings. Could be Austrian (the word Aus appears) or Israeli (the n in circle is similar to a mark they use).

Edited by Chris Hall

When the Rotating Turreted Ferrets (MK.II, 4 Etc.) Were converted from mounting .30" Cal M1919 MGs. To 7.62mm L34 GPMG's. The conversion ALSO had a replacement Ammo can holding tray.

These are EASILY identified at a glance, as they have a Terry clip riveted on the top left. This was to hold the Allen key, that went into the new GPMG Hard Mount to hold the gun securely.

The .30" Cal Can holding tray does NOT have this clip installed.

The cut outs that accept each type of ammo can are also DIFFERENT Sizes! The 7.62mm Can holding tray.
has a SMALLER opening /Cut out. To accept the BROWN Postwar 7.62mm Ammo Cans.

9 minutes ago, Chris Hall said:

Just read that the M19 and M19a1 are for the .30 cal and developments of the M1 can. With the intro of the M60 to US service they continued to use the .30 cal cans but with 7.62mm. Does your green can have marking to suggest where it originated? It doesn’t have British markings. Could be Austrian (the word Aus appears) or Israeli (the n in circle is similar to a mark they use).

The "Aus" should be Australian.

Just now, ferretfixer said:

When the Rotating Turreted Ferrets (MK.II, 4 Etc.) Were converted from mounting .30" Cal M1919 MGs. To 7.62mm L34 GPMG's. The conversion ALSO had a replacement Ammo can holding tray.

These are EASILY identified at a glance, as they have a Terry clip riveted on the top left. This was to hold the Allen key, that went into the new GPMG Hard Mount to hold the gun securely.

The .30" Cal Can holding tray does NOT have this clip installed.

The cut outs that accept each type of ammo can are also DIFFERENT Sizes! The 7.62mm Can holding tray.
has a SMALLER opening /Cut out. To accept the BROWN Postwar 7.62mm Ammo Cans.

The brown can all but falls through the cut out in the Mk2 Ferret tray. As far as I know, the Aussie Ferrets used only the .30cal

Browning. The tray looks to be the factory installed one.

Our Ferrets were very early manufacture. Likewise any British made mounts/trays for flex mount were 1950s production, such

as Ferret Mk 1, Saladin  and Centurion commander's flex mounts. Saracen had the same turret as the Ferret with 2 hatches not the early 3 hatch version.

From the replies to my question, it would seem that for some reason Britain decided to go with a non-NATO standard ammo can

when it converted to 7.62mm. Heavens knows why? 

Chris

As bizarre as it seems, ammo cans from far off countries do turn up for sale here. The supply from our army is sporadic at best.

But as there is a constant demand for them from civilians, the surplus stores quite often import pallet loads.

Regards

Doug

Edited by dgrev

12 minutes ago, Chris Hall said:

The live ammo is the same length as the blank. My can has full size linked ball ammo in it.

In the 1970-80s, blank 7.62 cartridges had an extension maybe ½" long that folded over to form something akin to a poppy pod to retain enough propellant to go BANG.

Maybe ¼-½" shorter than ball or trace.

51 minutes ago, AlienFTM said:

In the 1970-80s, blank 7.62 cartridges had an extension maybe ½" long that folded over to form something akin to a poppy pod to retain enough propellant to go BANG.

Maybe ¼-½" shorter than ball or trace.

Very early 7.62x51 blanks in British use were shorter than ball, but that had changed by the late 60s/70s.  Thereafter they were the same length - probably so that they fed better.  As a boy I used to collect empty cases trying to get one of each year from the head stamps (I know, I know).  The early ones in my collection had crimped tops with several crimps a bit like 4th from left below.  The later ones were identical to that 2nd from right.

I'm sure most of you know this, but a quick guide to what nationality the boxes are will be the NATO country code (and this extends to friendly countries outside NATO.  The UK being 99.  British ammo boxes are always service brown, most foreign ones seem to be a shade of green.

And please chaps, unless you're American they're ammo BOXES not CANS!

7.62x51 blank.jpg

On 8/12/2018 at 9:59 AM, dgrev said:

The brown can all but falls through the cut out in the Mk2 Ferret tray. As far as I know, the Aussie Ferrets used only the .30cal

Browning. The tray looks to be the factory installed one.

Our Ferrets were very early manufacture. Likewise any British made mounts/trays for flex mount were 1950s production, such

as Ferret Mk 1, Saladin  and Centurion commander's flex mounts. Saracen had the same turret as the Ferret with 2 hatches not the early 3 hatch version.

From the replies to my question, it would seem that for some reason Britain decided to go with a non-NATO standard ammo can

when it converted to 7.62mm. Heavens knows why? 

In which case, you have the .30 cal ammo tray shelf. The 7.62 shelf as i have described previously. Is for the narrower cans. & has the detail differences i have pointed out. The Brits in the early life of ferrets. used US Made ammo cans. & later BRITISH made wider cans to accept the .30" ammo In BROWN paint. Also metal liners to shorten the length for rounds were inserted. To use these cans with 7.62mm Ammo were also utilised. Until the narrower dedicated narrow made cans came on stream into service.

The green box is an M19A1 liner. It was packed by Australian Defence Industries in Australia in 1995, but not for military use/supply, as it does not have the standardised markings of calibre, packing type (such as 'lnk') and ammunition specification to indicate Ball, Tracer etc. ADI was a supplier of bulk ammunition to both the military and civilian markets at home and to 'friendly' nations overseas. It is now part of Thales, the big French company. The same liner (ie box, can, container, whatever) was used for both .30 cal (.30-06 - 84.84 mm long) and 7.62mm (71.12 mm long), but when used for the latter, a cardboard filler was used on the projectile side to take up the space. Both rounds have the same basal diameter of 12.01 mm. The Australian Army used both 7.62 and .30 cal ammunition right up until the 2000's when the M113A1 fleet was upgraded to M113(AS)4. (In US-packed 7.62 mm ammunition in M19A1 liners, the insert was a complete, four walls and a base, cardboard insert of thinner cardboard. Being also on the bottom, the box contained a smaller number of rounds)

The brown liner is British, packed at Radway Green in 1978. It has all the necessary military markings to indicate the calibre (7.62) type (BLANK L13A1) and the packing type Link (LNK), so linked belt using Mk.1 disintergrating link.

Edited by Mike C