what do you use to cover your vehicle ?

Norbo

Question

Assuming your not flash with a big barn or garage and have to park out side . What do you use to cover your vehicle .

I have put a deposit down on a cvrt today and hopefully in week or just over it will be with me ., i will have to park on the drive . id like a big tent/gazebo  to put it under so i can work on it in the dry but at the very least id like big cover for it so what do you have and were did you get it and does any one have anything . ? 

Edited by Norbo

19 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Zuffen said:

Build a carport.

They aren't expensive and they won't chafe the paint.

Also gives you a dry spot to work.

Just watch out re planning and permitted development.

I saw some being advertised which only fixed to the wall no supports, unfortunately heavy snow broke them and pulled part of the wall down

I did see this on E bay Heavy duty 

I am planning on building a big garage for my bikes and when its finished i will put a tall car port in front of it  i think . i do have a costco card ill have to take a look what they do .

On 5/12/2018 at 5:41 PM, Surveyor said:

Just seen advert from machine mart selling different size of tent garages

Bought one from them last week, had to modify it to fit where I needed it,  (made it 300mm shorter). I purchased another opening end so that I can open it right up. I will be fitting it with a solar powered extractor fan as I have discovered it is like a sauna in hot weather. The whole thing is of good quality and only time will tell whether the cover is as UV stable as they say it is.

I got 1 today is was a big extra heavy duty tunnel tent its massive so well big enough to cover it its heavy so not going to be simple to get over but its big enough to cover it right to the ground on all sides by the looks of it.  

A guy I saw on you tube buys a new tarp every couple of years to cover the originally  supplied cover, he has got 10 years out of the original cover this way..... not sure that it would not be cheaper to factor in a new cover every 4 years or so though....

(since photo was taken I have taken up the slack on the end of the cover and fitted a rolling pole to the bottom of the doorway, rolls up nice and tidy now).

S5000730.JPG

Edited by rog8811
forgot to say....

If you have the space available, maybe a used shipping container would be an option for storage? They come in several standard sizes, are easy to place and more weather resistant than a tent. It's amazing how well they can blend in the surroundings if painted a suitable colour and they're not that expensive, compared to a tent garage.

Ill do a car port later im just looking for something to tide me over for a year or 2 thats all just keep the snow and rain of it while its parked up and stop the pikeys in the scrap vans seeing it on the drive

18 hours ago, rog8811 said:

A guy I saw on you tube buys a new tarp every couple of years to cover the originally  supplied cover, he has got 10 years out of the original cover this way..... not sure that it would not be cheaper to factor in a new cover every 4 years or so though....

I looked at getting a replacement cover, but it was about a 3-4 month lead time and almost 65-70% the cost of a new complete shelter. Now our 2 covers have given out completely, the frames would have to be dismantled to fit new covers now so the vehicles have just gone back to being sheeted up. We also put storm straps over the top (proved invaluable!) but these caused the sheet to wear through in a couple of places. 

Edited by Grasshopper