GMC CCKW hardcab door locks

paul connor

Hi all,

Just wondered if any advice could be offered as to how to add locks to a GMC CCKW hard-cab door?

I have seen that c.1930-40's trucks had a similar handle with an integrated lock and barrel, but can these be added to a CCKW? I also would like to know if they are available anywhere and ideally not at the price I have seen in the USA, which is quite shocking at $250 for a single handle. 

Pictures of any hard-cab locks or ideas would be appreciated

Many thanks

Paul

This is something I myself was wondering - I have seen additional deadbolt type locks fitted that operate much like the locks you use on internal doors - you have a star shaped key that turns a dead bolt into the door frame - its completely separate from the door handle and is a stand alone hole approx. 5 mm in circumference ....still looking into alternatives myself but im sure between us and with the help of the forum we will get there!!

This is what im thinking of....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOOR-RACK-BOLTS-Dead-Bolt-Lock-Star-Key-Wind-Out-Chubb-Type-NICKEL-BRASS-WHITE/182342752766?hash=item2a747999fe:m:mm-WKMdd8bpHx2PbSZM5b-g

British WW2 Humber Heavy Utilities have a very similar lock - although they would be like hens teeth to locate....but surely classic car door lock  / handle suppliers must have something similar ?..

ive just had a really quick look and found this on e-bay :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Car-Door-Locking-Handle-With-Keys/253425195592?hash=item3b01519a48:g:KOAAAOSwg31agw7k

Edited by JEMIMA
additional link added

On 26/02/2018 at 2:31 PM, JEMIMA said:

This is something I myself was wondering - I have seen additional deadbolt type locks fitted that operate much like the locks you use on internal doors - you have a star shaped key that turns a dead bolt into the door frame - its completely separate from the door handle and is a stand alone hole approx. 5 mm in circumference ....still looking into alternatives myself but im sure between us and with the help of the forum we will get there!!

This is what im thinking of....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOOR-RACK-BOLTS-Dead-Bolt-Lock-Star-Key-Wind-Out-Chubb-Type-NICKEL-BRASS-WHITE/182342752766?hash=item2a747999fe:m:mm-WKMdd8bpHx2PbSZM5b-g

There are very few key variants for these so not very secure.

If an intruder was defeated on their first attempt as not expecting this type they could return prepared.

I guess the simple answer is how well do you want to secure the vehicle - given a window smash and in is probably the way a crook would go if they really wanted in - my thoughts were just a simple "keep the public" out at shows and give some very basic security to the cab - its almost impossible to make a vehicle of these type and age really secure - often instead people opt to immobilise, but if you wish to keep personal items in the cab or just want to stop people opening the door  - this is a simple and cheap way to do it....

Jemima, that was my school of thought too. It is just to keep the public out, and add a little bit of security. I am worried to leave the vehicle if I stop in a town, as currently you can just get in, turn a switch, and start and drive. I have now fitted a new immobiliser and key. So the next step is a basic door lock. Thankfully it lives in a locked workshop, so this is only really for when I am out and about.

I notice you are in West Sussex. Do you fancy coming to Michelham Priory WW2 weekend on the 16-17th June weekend? Great little show I run near Polegate.

another option ive just thought about is one of those cheap shead alwarms - simple stick on contact switch / magnet type of elctro contact - arm remotely and hey presto - the moment the door is opend the alarm goes off - all battery operated and you can buy them for under £20 - and no drilling into the bodywork....worth a thought....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-PIR-Motion-Sensor-Alarm-With-2-Remote-Controllers-For-Home-Shed-Caravan/301943452927?epid=1267114048&hash=item464d3b74ff:g:CGcAAOSwNmVab~vt

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-operated-window-door-house-alarm-set-burglar-intruder-sensor-WIRELESS/401003642979?epid=1190276583&hash=item5d5dae0063:m:muKzPDJ-BcQe9SHLcgebslw

Paul,

this is a problem I've come across on my 42 Chevy truck. I believe that early war (1940 to 41) military Chevs and CCKWs had lockable doors, but those handles and locks are now rare and horribly expensive. I found a pair of post war British truck handles and locks that are very similar indeed and have fitted those, so far so good. Another consideration is that early on in the war they only fitted one externally lockable handle, the other door was locked from inside (this harked back to the civvy delivery trucks of the thirties). If you can track down this mechanism (which I'm afraid can be tricky to find too) that means you then only have one external lock to sort.

As a footnote, I believe (happy to be corrected on this) all lockable doors (and ignition keys) on US vehicles had been done away with by the end of 1942.

Edited by G506