Preserving Canvas

john1950

I am looking for information on preserving old canvas. I have two Items and they have canvas surrounds, I am looking for something to put on to keep them in one piece. It is not something I have done before.

Morris C4-C8 Door top flaps 001.JPG

Morris C4-C8 Door top flaps 002.JPG

Morris C4-C8 Door top flaps 003.JPG

Edited by john1950
Add photographs

Preservation of waxed cotton duck - a thread for a argument  LoL

I understand the traditional method for heavy tarp, tilts & sails was  - in the main boiled linseed oil , bit of bees wax thinned with turpentine  - all warmed up then slapped on.  That was in the days when I was before the mast,  the laskar mix. for hull primer being the same boiled linseed oil , + some fish oil mixed in a barrel amongst genuine red lead powder - clouds of it  LoL

However in this case  , if it were me  -  I would just apply Barbour dressing (according to instructions)  - then give a hot blow with the wife's hair drier.

Tenting ,  in the early 1970's I used Mesowax etc.   Then everybody seemed to be using FEBsilicone at a fraction of the cost of the silicone tentage proofers.  Lots of people still use silicone brick proofer on tilts  (the original spirit based - not the newer water based) The MOD introduced water based paints for canvas to avoid using alkyd type - apparently to save the stitching.    About this time - I did my own experiment with a new Land Rover hood that I used through 1 winter  (to get the excess wax dressing off and on to the screen glass and paintwork).  I don't like cotton duck with the weave obliterated by heavy paint.  So - I risked it and sprayed with cellulose  OD  ,  that hood must have had 10 years solid use all weathers , part use for next 10 years and I still have it.  The cellulose thinner / paint did not attack the polyester stitching.