Tank transporter for the cromwell

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As discussed on the telephone Rick, l have added a loader crane on the S26 which has pushed up the unladen weight by about 2 tonnes (including the substantial sub frame). Plus the crane is quite close to the 5th wheel coupling creating a situation where I could only use a narrow neck trailer with it. My plan was my M747 trailer, but that project has stalled a little due to lack of time, as has getting the Seddon Atkinson on the road too !

my plan with the skelly was to drop the outriggers down to the bottom of the chassis rail which would make the tank sit lower then weld a channel section onto each side (although it would still sit ok wthout them). i'd also thought about supporting the weight between the belly of the tank and the top of the chassis rails.

another advantage of having a tank is they are agile and can go where other loads can't, infact it can pretty much go on any trailer if you get a big enough run up at it :D

the run up is not the problem, its having b*lls big enough to attempt it, loaded a lot of stuff up steep ramps its not a good experience.

the tank is quite excitng to load. there's a point when you can only see sky and it's impossible to hear anything so you are left to your own devices. the only solution is to keep on going and hope you land ok.

john (antar)

i was hoping you would be ok with buying, repairing and storing the scammell while i use it at the weekends. i don't mind going halves on the fuel ! if you do this i will let you join my new club THE ARMOURED HERITAGE GROUP. i know how much you like clubs :D

If you were loading single handed then a decent winch is the only way to go - especially as there will be no margin for error at the sides. REME Recovery Manual Army Code 71140 is a cracking read.....

Loading Antars with Chieftain used to be a matter of getting the panzer correctly lined up then getting the tank drivers hands out of the hatch so there was no chance of him touching the tillers and then waving him on with a good boot full of throttle till the nose came down again then up onto the tank stops. Tiller action or manoeuvring on the trailer was hugely frowned upon as it was the quickest way of losing one over the side. If the tank didn't land square then the thing would be backed of and sorted out on the ground not the trailer.

If it was a winch job then clearly getting the tank lined up under its own power was a non starter; in these circumstances the rear lashing chains of the trailer would be crossed over and attached to the front towing eyes of the tank - the whole plot would then draw forward 10-15 metres and hey presto - everything would be lined up.

As for a Jake Brake this jury is out - my experience is that it is a bit of a constant speed/variable noise device........I think I have an exhaust brake on mine but it is about as much use as mudflaps on a tortoise.

i have put some thought to loading the tank and i've always managed fine with someone to guide me on but to try to do it alone would be tricky. if it had to be done then i could modify the trailer so the tracks would run in a channel which was one of my thoughts on buying a skelly trailer and converting it, as you would end up with a purpose built cromwell trailer. the down side of that being the trailer would be almost useless for any other kind of load and it is that reason alone that steers me toward a standard low loader trailer but then you end up back where you started with regard to always needing a guide. maybe like paul says a big winch is essential.

The 50 and 60 ton trailers had track guides but they could be more hindrance than help. The longer the ramps the less tricky loading would be and bearing in mind the back of the last stepframe trailer that passed through my hands could be lowered (it was on air) to 30 inches then long ramps are definitely possible.

The very short ramps on the 50t semi trailer were particularly problematic so the crews used to put scotch blocks actually under the ends of the ramps when they let them down meaning that the tank had an 18 inch vertical step to contend with even before it got onto the ramp proper. But once there the total ramp angle was much less. Not sure if it shows the procedure on Jack Shepherds 7 Regt video - I will have to have a look.

Edited by paulbrook

A lovely thing, and the Bedford too. Mind you, they must have been smart off the mark making this in 1977 and getting it registered on 1st January of the same year! :D

trevor

I think the plate is for the trailer which would be no good for your job Rick - gross weight 27t and the trailer will weigh at least 8 (maybe more). Breaking at the swan neck would be great as far as loading the tank, but they are a faff to line up and pump back up again.

Joe Walker's foden is a nice truck and sounds just as good. the Fowler B6 road loco Joe owns and carries on the foden is a fantastic piece of machinery and dam heavy. we have a similar King trailer for carrying are own traction engines and used to carry 2 at a time fairly often, the 8 horse burrell agricultural weighed around 12 ton and the garrett showman's tractor 8 ton. a friend of mine puts a 22 ton fowler ploughing engine on a 2 axle king low loader with a 6x4 foden no problem.

I think the plate is for the trailer which would be no good for your job Rick - gross weight 27t and the trailer will weigh at least 8 (maybe more). Breaking at the swan neck would be great as far as loading the tank, but they are a faff to line up and pump back up again.

Correct, plate for trailer

• 1 month later...

still looking although i don't have the money yet but i'll scratch it up from somewhere.

anyway the plan so far is to buy a 6x2 tractor unit with enough mot left to get me through to the end of the season. that's a fairly simple process as there's plenty around for under £5k.

the tricky bit is getting a low loader with mot for the right money. if anyone knows of any could you let me know. cheers

i was talking to a friend that drives for a living and he loves his stralis so i might go down that route, although i don't think you can go far wrong with any modern truck as long as it has plenty of test left on it

400.jpg

still looking although i don't have the money yet but i'll scratch it up from somewhere.

anyway the plan so far is to buy a 6x2 tractor unit with enough mot left to get me through to the end of the season. that's a fairly simple process as there's plenty around for under £5k.

the tricky bit is getting a low loader with mot for the right money. if anyone knows of any could you let me know. cheers

i was talking to a friend that drives for a living and he loves his stralis so i might go down that route, although i don't think you can go far wrong with any modern truck as long as it has plenty of test left on it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]114824[/ATTACH]

That's an unfortunate company name 😬😂

• 3 weeks later...

i've just aquired a 6x4 foden with perkins engine and fuller gearbox, which should do nicely once i've got it through MOT. so still looking for a trailer if anyone has any leads i'd appreciate it. cheers

rick