WW2 Dodge 15 CWT GS Trucks - are any of these specific vehicles still around?

IdleBaldy

Hi all.

I've just got back from the National Archives in London where I was looking at the War Diaries from my Grandfather's RASC unit, which served in North Africa, Italy and Austria.

As a Jeep owner, I know the interest in finding war service history of specific vehicles is usually a pipe dream, but I uncovered a full audit of the vehicles in this GT company. It includes WD, and Order Nos, but more importantly, in some cases the Chassis numbers.

Do any of you good folks out there in MVT land know if any of these are still knocking around?

Would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Simon

Dodgelist.jpg

I also recovered a huge list of 10T MACK Lorry numbers from the same unit if anyone would like them for reference.

I suspect you already know, but all these 15 cwts are Canadian Dodge T222 series GS or water tanker trucks - that's the only two versions that chassis was supplied in.

Unfortunately as 4 x 2 trucks they were much in demand post war for ordinary commercial use, after which the vast majority of them ended up in the scrap pile thanks to UK road salt. Survival rate low, much lower than the 4 x 4 US WC equivalent unfortunately. In addition to that, they were made in very large numbers, so the chance of a particular chassis number being found as a survivor is even lower.

Ah HAAA! That picture came from a group the Tank Musuem libary have.

I think sometimes people are not aware that that the Tank Museum library hold a large collection of soft skin factory and type acceptance photos in the archive always worth a look before trolling of to the ILWM.

Pete

Here's a very nice D15 GS in Dutch? or Belgium? ownership, CMP Dodges are very handsome trucks I think

It used to be here in Holland, but I think it sold in the meantime. I am not sure where it went.

The (former) owner bought it from the French army with low miles......it was used on a French base as a truck to collect litter.

There is at least one other D15 GS here in Holland.

That's another lovely truck Pete!

Alex

• 2 years later...
On 23 February 2016 at 10:51 PM, Pete Ashby said:

Here's a very nice D15 GS in Dutch? or Belgium? ownership, CMP Dodges are very handsome trucks I think

Pete

08-DodgeT222-D15,Truck15-cwt,4x2,GS,Ursel2005[1].jpg

08-DodgeT222-D15,Truck15-cwt,4x2,GS,Ursel2005[1].jpg

Thanks for the feedback Pete. in the 2 and a half years since I posted here I have found this truck and just completed its purchase and transport to the UK. Alex, the supporting registration documents and feedback from the Belgian owner confirm your feedback about its French army history.
I'll post some more photos and info soon - I am just in the throws of applying for a UK registration for it.

Edited by IdleBaldy
  • Like 2