matador restoration.

doug fleet

DOUG matador chassis numbers 4362 - 4571 where made as DEACON SELF PROPELLED GUNS the contract number was

VM 11373 dated 31/I/42 your post war registration number was 98 ZR 11 and could have had a wartime census starting

with the letter F but l would have to look for it as to the engine colour when it left the factory it was black if and when after a rebuild it could have been repainted one of several colours

DOUG matador chassis numbers 4362 - 4571 where made as DEACON SELF PROPELLED GUNS the contract number was

VM 11373 dated 31/I/42 your post war registration number was 98 ZR 11 and could have had a wartime census starting

with the letter F but l would have to look for it as to the engine colour when it left the factory it was black if and when after a rebuild it could have been repainted one of several colours

thank you very much for the imfomation. i would love to know where it served and for who how would i find stuff like that out .have you got any idear why the engine would be black and not the mint green ?

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick update on things. sorted out a temporary fuel supply as the fuel tank has 3 holes in it . checked and topped up the injector pump and governor with oil . also found a good starter motor as it was missing .just got to temporary wire that in and we should be able to run it and drive it out the shed to start on the dirty jobs. . the primer and olive drab paint have turned up for all the underside and the last innertube has arrived so we can get the last wheel finished . the engine was painted black so i take it that would be matt black and not gloss. .

• 3 weeks later...

well we got it running again after a 6 year lay up. got the windscreens out and the roof off as we need to replace the timber across ethe front at the top. when it was running it started to speed up so turned the 24 volt fuel pump off and folded the pipe over and it stopped. after found the hand throttle was pulled on a bit so hopping it was that.on the wooden roof under the steel sheet was paper dated feb 1958 .photos to follow in a bit

had a go.od weekend on the matador .got all the front off as some of the cab wood needs replaceing we also got the floor out so we can get to the chassie . theres some kind of a pump thing on the side of the drivers seat. does anyone know what it is for as its not connected to anything.

Doug

Further to my last reply to information on the MATADOR chassis 4385 l have found the list of DEACONs that stayed in service after the war all carried numbers in the ZR range beginning with the 96/97/98 and 99 your wartime number

is listed as F89127 IF l remember rightly all the ZR numbered history cards that survived are held by the TANK MUSEUM

ARCHIVES

REGARDS WALLY

Doug

Further to my last reply to information on the MATADOR chassis 4385 l have found the list of DEACONs that stayed in service after the war all carried numbers in the ZR range beginning with the 96/97/98 and 99 your wartime number

is listed as F89127 IF l remember rightly all the ZR numbered history cards that survived are held by the TANK MUSEUM

ARCHIVES

REGARDS WALLY

everning wally. you seen to be full of imfomation . thanks very much for shareing it . I was wondering weather the chassie was made for a deacon and ended up with a Dorchester body instead for what ever reason . after xmass I will get in touch with the tank museum and see what comes up.do you know weather there are any deacons left anywhere ??. goes with out saying if I find anything out I will let you know. thanks very much Doug. sorry cant spell very well.

It looks like one of these Doug - for starting in really cold conditions. This is the picture from the drivers handbook.

Nick

everning also nick . so its a cold start thing the pull leaver is still on it aswell but not connected to anything . wonder if the engine has been changed at sometime ?. the engine colour is black in places but I cant tell if its gloss or matt. do you have any thoughts on that. all these odd bits that have been taken off will be going back on . thanks for taking the time with the imfo Doug .

Doug

it is known that some of the DEACONs were converted to ammunition carriers as to wether your matador was converted

to a DORCHESTER the only way to tell would be if the tank museum has your vehicles history card as it may have that

information on it Not to stop nick answering the question on was the engine gloss or matt we had two matador engines on display in the museum both direct from AEC and painted gloss black as supplied new remember that in service the colour would have dulled

REGARDS WALLY

Hello Doug,

When we met last year I gave you some information regarding your Matador chassis 08534385.

The details were from The Tank Museum Key Cards so there's no reason for you to contact them yourself.

It's good to see the restoration moving along.

Ian.

Hello Doug,

When we met last year I gave you some information regarding your Matador chassis 08534385.

The details were from The Tank Museum Key Cards so there's no reason for you to contact them yourself.

It's good to see the restoration moving along.

Ian.

hiya Ian boss is going to sort that out and I will put it on here

the first few photos shows the condition of whats left of the wireing.the top of the n/s wing has rusted badly and will have to be replaced so the cab frame will have to come off of the n/s so it can be replaced and riverted back in. some of the wood in the cab frame needs repaceing this side but most of it is good. drained all the oil out of the governor today and hardly any came out of the level plug . poked a screw driver in the adjusting hole and it all seems free so iam thinking theres nowhere near enough oil in it.here is the what we know about its history. the chassis was part of contract m11373 dated 31/1/42 it was built as part of contract T12700 for 210 armoured command vehicle bodies by the birtley co ltd. originally allocated the war department number F89127 this changed post war to the ministry of supply number 98 ZR 11. this vehicle was an ACV 4X4 LP. ,LP refers to the radio type fitted. it was transferred from 5A/C to 51A vehicle depot 28/7/49. it was struck off/sold to harford engineering co ltd, Norwich on 24/1/68. so I hope that is some help.

So what happened to the chassis number being a Deacon one ? I have (I think) read all of this thread and don't understand why you are sure it was built as a Dorchester. Obviously they are a related design but the only common part is that they are both armoured vehicles based on Matador chassis. I think it very unlikely that a Deacon would be re-bodied with a Dorchester body or the other way round - why would there be a spare body available that had not already got a chassis ? What identifies this vehicle as a Dorchester when virtually all the body is missing ?

Sorry to be critical but I must have missed something here.

David

some one put on here that the chassie number is in the same batch as the deacon ones and mine might be a deacon. so I said maybe it was made as a Dorchester rather than a deacon. all the armour plate is still down the sides and across the back . the frame over the back of the cab is the same shap as a Dorchester body and the imfo comfirms this . it was cut down by the showman who cut the back off to fit a 6lw gardener and gen set in it . the front of the cab was cut about as the windows were to small to see out of when driving it around the rides..

I have followed this and would ask why you think your matador was converted from a DEACON to a DORCHESTER what

makes you think this

wally you are the one who said the chassie number is in the batch of numbers that were deacons . . I don't know if dorchesters and deacons were made side by side . I no its a Dorchester.

DOUG

The AEC records show that your chassis number left the factory as a DEACON no were can l find anywhere mention

of a conversion which is why l suggested looking at the records held at the TANK MUSEUM THE only reason l have referred

to DORCHESTER is that you raised it does the information lan 43 mention confirm that it was converted

REGARDS WALLY