106 recoilless Landrover 2A Vietnam

OZITIM

I came across these photos taken by my Dad back in 1968 in Vietnam. Anyone knowing the where abouts of one of these vehicles in Australia and anyone who would want to part with one, I would love to know.

106 (640x448).jpg

106 child (640x492).jpg

106 resting (640x453) (2).jpg

jock mcdonald 106 (640x445).jpg

quane sig (640x443).jpg

road run (640x456).jpg

This is actually a 106mm US antitank gun, not a 105mm. Yes, they used fleshette rounds and HEDP. I recall my father saying they used the gun primarily in the HEDP role for inflicting damage on bunker systems located in hills. The fleshette rounds were mainly used in the 84mm carl Gustaf (see Battle of Fire Support Base Coral).

I remember seeing one of these vehicle for sale in a car magazine about 15 years ago, but have not seen one since. They come standard with the split windscreen, raised suspension and built in ammo compartments and rear seating.

Well, I will be damned! I just read the wikipedia link and it is actually 105mm. In the army we always referred to them as 106's. Now I know they were called 106's instead of 105's so as not to cause confusion. Well there you go. Im less confused now.

fantastic photo! That was obviously still in service then. I remember seeing one when I was posted to Singleton in 1991, so they were still in service to some degree up until then. So, I wonder what happened to them. Where are they now.

there is a military LR site in Aus but cant recall where. I just did a search on AULRO but didn't get a hit.

Interesting as your one has the standard front wings, wheras most Aussie ones have them sliced out for more clearance. Also in my picture the front edge on the wing looks raked back. I never knew we had standard wings ever fitted, maybe originally the the jigsaw came out

Wow, I had never noticed that. But, yes, you are quite right, with the exception to this one, I have only every seen these with the front guards cut out. This must be an early early version. You have an eye for detail!

there is a military LR site in Aus but cant recall where. I just did a search on AULRO but didn't get a hit.

Interesting as your one has the standard front wings, wheras most Aussie ones have them sliced out for more clearance. Also in my picture the front edge on the wing looks raked back. I never knew we had standard wings ever fitted, maybe originally the the jigsaw came out

fantastic photo! That was obviously still in service then. I remember seeing one when I was posted to Singleton in 1991, so they were still in service to some degree up until then. So, I wonder what happened to them. Where are they now.

Hi Mate,

Take a look at this link and scroll down, there is a photo of that actual Gun Buggy with the modified front end..

http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

You will see from going through that forum there are a number in preservation in Australia. I believe the Lancers Museum in Parramatta, NSW have one, I have seen it out on shows.

regards, Richard

Hi Mate,

Take a look at this link and scroll down, there is a photo of that actual Gun Buggy with the modified front end..

http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

You will see from going through that forum there are a number in preservation in Australia. I believe the Lancers Museum in Parramatta, NSW have one, I have seen it out on shows.

regards, Richard

This link is fantastic. Their is a couple of photos of this very vehicle on that site. The '55' marking on the black and white photos indicate that the vehicle is being utilised by the 1st battalion, whereas the photos of the same vehicle in this link show that the vehicle was also with the 5th battalion at some later or earlier point. Would love to know where that gun buggy is now!

Well, I will be damned! I just read the wikipedia link and it is actually 105mm. In the army we always referred to them as 106's. Now I know they were called 106's instead of 105's so as not to cause confusion. Well there you go. Im less confused now.

It may just be to do with the rifling. I remember reading (don't ask me where) that Americans measure the calibre (caliber?) of a weapon trough to trough, whereas the imperial measurement of calibre is ridge to ridge. Or maybe it was like the gun on the Comet tank, which was referred to as a 77mm even though it was 76.2mm, so as not to confuse it with the 76.2mm gun on the late Shermans.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an image of my Series 2A Gunbuggy minus the 106, as they are just not available to us in NSW and also the Firearms laws etc dictate way too much $$$ for a permit if you could get a 106.

Dinty2010.jpg

The reason they were called 106 is because the Aust/army (but this could also be true of the US as well) also used a pack howitzer (Italian design) and it is designated 105mm, now they are both 105mm in the bore, but the 106 has a much longer shell casing full of holes (because it's a RCL) I do have 4 empty cases and 6 of the cardboard outer cases.

We in REMLR know of 13 gunbuggies in private hands across Australia, and there are 7 in musuems, what happened to the rest of them?? who knows, and No mine is not for sale sorry, cheers Dennis

ps Ozitim, nice images, thanks for sharing them with us,,.

pps here is an image of the said 105 Howitzer

Cannon1_zps16028830.jpg

that 105 is privately owned.

Edited by DJM110

Here is an image of my Series 2A Gunbuggy minus the 106, as they are just not available to us in NSW and also the Firearms laws etc dictate way too much $$$ for a permit if you could get a 106.

Dinty2010.jpg

The reason they were called 106 is because the Aust/army (but this could also be true of the US as well) also used a pack howitzer (Italian design) and it is designated 105mm, now they are both 105mm in the bore, but the 106 has a much longer shell casing full of holes (because it's a RCL) I do have 4 empty cases and 6 of the cardboard outer cases.

We in REMLR know of 13 gunbuggies in private hands across Australia, and there are 7 in musuems, what happened to the rest of them?? who knows, and No mine is not for sale sorry, cheers Dennis

Cannon1_zps16028830.jpg

Your gun buggy sure is a beauty.....

• 1 month later...

Dinty2010.jpg

Cannon1_zps16028830.jpg

I have some serious military vehicle envy. I am totally in love with your gunbuggy. What an awesome machine. When I was going through Singleton infantry training school in 1991, they were still using them then. One of dads mates came to visit me while I was there. He served with 1RAR at the Battle of Coral with Antitank plt and saw them parked in a shed just near where I was Barracked. When he saw them, it was like he had just seen a ghost. It was quite an unnerving experience for him at the time. I guess he didnt expect to see them after all those years. Again, love your gunbuggy.

Regards, Tim