Salonika Campaign

john_g_kearney

Sadly, these prints have faded away almost entirely. (I have worked up the scans in Photoshop.) I think they were taken during the Salonika Campaign.

Note the '1st AID' on the breakdown wagon.

John.

With the tackle those guys had available to them that job looks like many hours of hard labour.

Interesting Bulgarian links, thank you.

Thanks for the further tweaking of the scans too. Yes, it is two different wrecks. Driving those mountain roads with the lorries of the day must have been a nightmarish experience.

I don't know how long the drivers lived under canvas during the campaign.

John.

Salonika 103.jpg

Salonika 102.jpg

This lorry has petrol cans in a rack on the right-hand side too; most likely all the lorries will be the same.

Note the contrast between summer and winter uniforms... The latter includes the 'Coat sheepskin lined' as issued to MT and wagon drivers.

John.

Salonika 106.jpg

Salonika 107.jpg

Great images ... thanks for posting ... quite amazing what still comes out of the woodwork as they say particularly material from almost 100 years ago! Adding to your thread is the accompanying image of an Albion with a load of Australian Nurses on leave from their British Hospital. Lorry belonged to 683 Coy. ASC in Salonika.

Rod

Even the ASC sometimes got time off duty...

John.

AlbionSalonicaVicBks.jpg

As part of my day job I've been working on a set of a dozen nitrate negs from the Bulgarian/Serb front which someone on the Daily Sketch or Daily Graphic acquired in 1919. Unfortunately due to copyright law I am not allowed to reproduce them here. They show Bulgarian artillery, an observation balloon named Sofia and some Serb infantry. I've had help with other negs from the wider collection I'm reviving in time for the centenary in 2014 on the Great War Forum and from friends in the WFA. Sadly, I have found nothing of vehicles so far, save for some British tanks in Limerick in 1919 during the period of the Soviet there. This project has a year to run. I am hoping my employers - the less than loved News International - will allow me to combine my own battlefield pix from my trips with their archive into a projected book or exhibition. I had been photographing the graves of employees of the Times, Daily Sketch, Daily Graphic (tbese two were part of what became the Kemsley empire which was bought by Thomsons which was bought by the Digger) and the News of the World. Sadly, the NoW is now so toxic, that the brave men who worked for it and who died in the two wars are tainted...something I refute. By the by, if any of your ancestors were employees of the above papers during the Great War in any capacity and you have any archive of them, I would love to know.

I forgot to mention a friend of mine's uncle Claude was an RAMC doctor at Salonika and kept a sketch book which is really nice - he did water colour cartoons of his billets and the local vistas and brought back souvenirs which includes a very nice cased Iron Cross 1st class and a kukri of all things which was made locally. He was also at Galipolli and when it was done he went back to being a GP in west Wales.

Fine photograph, Rod, many thanks for posting.

I wonder what the disc at the front centre of the cab roof was for?

My own maternal grandfather was at Gallipoli too (with 6th Leinster), then to Salonika, then to Palestine and finally to France after the Germans' 1918 offensive. Apparently, he threw all his souvenirs out of the train window on his way back home...

John.

John it looks like you have kicked off an interesting thread given the response thus far. Pity Grand Dad disposed of his "spoils". Re the plate on the front of the hood ... as Tim says there are content variations in surviving images. Having said that there were obviously some rules which may or may not have been complied with. An example is a Second Army memo dated November 1916 and an extract follows .... "The approved Army Mark will also be borne in front of M.T. Vehicles on a tin plate secured to the front of the hood, when this is rigid, otherwise in the centre of the dashboard; and also on the left of the tailboard." Whilst rules were rules there were variations from Army to Army and Corps to Corps in some cases.

Note, an 'Army' mark is a unit marking as used on both MT & HT as opposed to a GHQ mark which was basically a Branch of Service marking. In my recent book there are 25 pages describing vehicle markings other than registration or census numbering and that is just scratching the surface.

Another Salonika example is attached. Whilst also a poor quality image there is a 245 Coy ASC Army Mark and an L^548 census number on the tail gate. Rod

Salonika_L548.jpg

Nice idea, Tony. I will make subtle enquiries. The owner is a little protective of it all. I was only allowed to see it all once.

Can't you post pictures of those ? PLEASE!! Sketches and drawings are often more evocative than photos as they are the direct result of a person's eyes and hands via the brain.