Doing up a tired looking SLR

I was havind a look over my deac SLR and its not in too bad condition but the paint finish is looking a bit past best, is stripping the old paint off and redoing it something I could do at home or is it best to get a pro to do it?

Also what paint would be best to use?

I know these may seem silly questions but haing not restored a gun before I want to end up improving it not making a hash up of it.

Cheers

Shaun

Looks like paint to me, at least on the receiver and the muzzle, the barrel hasn't got much finish left on it to tell, I have read that stove paint will give a very accurate looking finish as will rust-oleum, but I want to see what everyone else thinks

Cheers

Shaun

I believe the original finish was Suncorite paint on top of a Phosphate coating on the metal. Any hard wearing satin black paint - such as stove paint - would probably make a reasonable substitute. A gunsmith may be able to procure some actual Suncorite, although apparently it's not nice stuff by modern H&S standards.

Polishing up with an old fashioned Black Lead polish used on fire grates and stoves can give a nice finish. Cheap enough from a local hardware store.

I used this on my Enfield Mk1** and it worked great, takes several even coats but looks good as a result

I was havind a look over my deac SLR and its not in too bad condition but the paint finish is looking a bit past best, is stripping the old paint off and redoing it something I could do at home or is it best to get a pro to do it?

Also what paint would be best to use?

I know these may seem silly questions but haing not restored a gun before I want to end up improving it not making a hash up of it.

Cheers

Shaun

ours were allways satin black, buggerd if i know the type of paint, we were only interested in them going bang at the required moment:nut:

When I was at Sandhurst in the 1970s our SLRs took quite a beating during training. Prior to the hugely competitive drill competition (well competitive amongst the C Sgts anyway) all our SLRs were treated to a tidy up by our Platoon Cpl of Horse with satin black from Halfords. The bayonet scabbards got gloss black and we dropped a single point on the inspection as one of the drain holes at the bottom was slightly bunged up with paint. We still won though (well done 2 Pl)

So my guess is that if a bit of spray paint was good enough for the Household Div to apply to fully functioning weapons then its going to be OK now!