US WW1 Ordnance Trailer

Great War truck

What really hurts is I have the Liberty Standard B truck (needs restoration) and a full set of 1902 Caisson and Limber in excellent original condition. Would love to have this trailer and pull the set behind the truck at Newville, PA for the WWI events, but ZERO financial capability now that I'm out of the Army and awaiting retirement pay at 60.

Gee that would be one sweet display piece.

V/R W. Winget USA

http://www.vmpa.us

Virginia Military Preservation Association

It carried a 3" gun and limber. Easier than towing it? I am not sure. Seems to make it more complicated and heavy. Anyway. US Army only bought 472 of these and only took 15 to France. I would think that it was really quite rare.

Trailer.jpg

• Like 1

Yes Monty is my Brother. And he just helped me close the deal on the above trailer, so it should really look sharp if I can locate some diagrams or measurements for the missing pieces (front box, rails on the bed, etc) of it, then add the Caission and Limber set atop her and place it beside the Liberty Truck.

Now to find transport for it from Ohio to Virginia, or Aberdeen Maryland show in May and pay someone for their trip, etc. or go for it later this year.

Where's a French 75 to fit atop the Liberty and make the complete set?

V/R Adrian Winget

Virginia

www.vmpa.us

Headed to Germany for three weeks for an exercise, hate it when I loose communications just after doing a great deal. WAW

Edited by jhooah
spelling

Hi Adrian

Well i am very pleased you got it. It will go to a good home with the rest of the collection and is at least safe from the scrap man. You may remember i helped you with the body plans for your Liberty four years ago. Sadly, i cant do anything to help you with this latest acquisition.

I came across Monty's name in the acknowledgements section of the excellent book "In a strange land" just a few weeks ago and i thought i recognised it. It took me a while to put two and two together though.

Have fun in Germany

Tim Gosling

• 6 months later...

Bought it, moved it to home to Virginia, loaded the 1906 Limber and Caisson Set, link below has the post with photo's that match the earlier posted photo, sorry to send you chasing another link, but it looks GREAT even if unrestored.

V/R W Winget

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=192239&start=15#p1239287

Anyone finding information or photo's on the US 3 Ton Artillery Trailer I would be most thankful for a copy, especially seeing the front sheet metal.

V/R

• 6 years later...

This is an old topic but thanks to Adrian and his wealth of knowledge, I was able to nearly fully restore my 1918 field gun trailer I purchased this time last year. It needed a ton of work!! Many plates had been welded and metal cut out. Here is before and after pictures. The last picture is of the memorial day parade this year.

20180813_133250.jpg

20190526_113036.jpg

20180813_133258.jpg

FB_IMG_1559006581343.jpg

• Like 4