USA MP Bike

Morris C8

Now don't be so cynical Rik! We all know it was the WLA that won the war. Along with the Enigma machine that was captured by the Yanks.

Ron

Shhh, Ron. No-one knows my name on here. Surely you know that wars are won by the side that makes the most noise (and has set up a film industry to carry on doing it more than sixty-five years later)

Ok Guys, just got the word, they are WLA's and the markings are 5th vehicle of the Divisional MP Platoon of the 1st US Infantrydivision.

First Group: 1 stands for 1st Inf Division

SecondGroup: X marks the unit in the 3rd group (in this case the 1st MP Platoon) is directly dependant from the unit in the first group (in this case the Divisional HQ of the 1st Inf Div)

Third group: 1P stands for 1st MP Platoon

Fourth group: 5 stands for 5th vehicle whitin the platoon

Photo was taken by Corporal Earl E. Miller, 33879319, an MP of the 1e Inf Divisie in 1945 (recently sold on Ebay)

See also this link:

http://www.lonesentry.com/panzer/jeep-markings.html

Thanks to Johan Willeart and his superb site:

http://www.theliberator.be/

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike

On closer inspection Lex. You are right. I can see the tops of the fork springs in the gloom. It was the horn that threw me. It looks more like an Indian horn.

Didn't they have a tendency to fit the horn under the headlamp on a WLC and over the top on a WLA? Ron

On closer inspection Lex. You are right. I can see the tops of the fork springs in the gloom. It was the horn that threw me. It looks more like an Indian horn.

Didn't they have a tendency to fit the horn under the headlamp on a WLC and over the top on a WLA? Ron

I'm no expert on US bikes, although I did think that the earlier WLA's/WLC's (pre-42 ?) had the horn and lamp positions reversed....? Later bikes look far more "snug" at the front end........the definitive book on the subject would seem to be "How to Restore Your Military Harley-Davidson".......so much detail on US and Canadian versions......