Bedford QLR 32YY16

Ian L

Now I think you are a lucky man, knowing what your discovery's where in the engine.

Suppose you just ran this engine in your QL as it was, don't think that the cabin was for a very long time over the engine after the restoration!

Personally I never trust a engine that have been standing for a long time, bike car are lorry I always want to check the inside of a engine.

Butt now you will have more confidence in your engine, nice work!

Guy;)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just read your post about the valves, i had the same problem with my OXC engine, we found all the exhaust valves were a different angle to the seats! cant remember exactly what they were now as it was a few years ago. so i had them recut to suit the valves.

my engine was rebuilt in 1954 by vauxhall motors. It most definitely had not been apart since leaving the army in 1966 as the previous owner had bought it from Ruddington and never used it.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Bill yes mate, Guy has taken the cab roof back to his place to repair so that I can concentrate on the lower part of the cab which is in a very poor state. I was going to be posting some photos in the new year as some of the parts went away for shot blasting just before christmas.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Collecting the body from Duxford, Jon helped load it with one of his 3 Matador's.

Hi I know this was posted a long time ago, but can you recall what colour that RN bed was painted. It's quite hard to tell from the photo as to if it is green, Grey with a good dollop of algae or Faded blue + Algae.

I am only a humble model builder, but want to do a QL in RN service, and as of yet your's is the ONLY photo I have been able to find of ANY in RN paint.

I hope you or one of the others here can help.

Ian M

Hi I know this was posted a long time ago, but can you recall what colour that RN bed was painted. It's quite hard to tell from the photo as to if it is green, Grey with a good dollop of algae or Faded blue + Algae.

I am only a humble model builder, but want to do a QL in RN service, and as of yet your's is the ONLY photo I have been able to find of ANY in RN paint.

I hope you or one of the others here can help.

Ian M

Hi Ian the cab is long gone I suspect but I still have all the original rear body panels in grey/green with the RN ? RM? still on the sides if you want to come and take a look. regards Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ian the cab is long gone I suspect but I still have all the original rear body panels in grey/green with the RN ? RM? still on the sides if you want to come and take a look. regards Ian

Thanks for the kind offer but its rather a long way from Denmark. lol

Just trying to find out What colour they actually had in RN service.

So grey/green... Sounds like an algae covered grey..

A great project you have there by the way.

Ian M

Colours varied depending on location and time line etc There are threads about colours on this forum which can end up confusing you further as the wartime colours do not have civilian equivalent standards which can be referred to. Mike Starmin has done a lot of research on this matter and has published several books so start by googling him.

• 7 months later...

Another late night yesterday finishing off the cab roof, loads of corrosion/rust under the rear seam where the flange meets the lower section of the cab which had to be repaired along with the 'top hat' sections that the gun clips bolt to and some other parts.

DSC03221.JPG

DSC03220.JPG

DSC03219.JPG

DSC03218.JPG

DSC03217.JPG

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately this restoration project will be up forsale shortly due to ill health, I have just come out of hospital this evening following a back injury / slipped disc and back in April I had AF / heart failure.

I will now concentrate on my smaller projects such as the Standard Tilly, water bowser & others.

If your interested in viewing or want more details please PM me before I advertise else where.