How heavy is a B80?

simonm

Hi,

Simple question, how heavy is my B80. Its time to move on from a regular top up of fluid that leaks from my fluid flywheel and fix it (a lot of work for the sake of a £10 seal).

I've done it twice with the Ferret (1st for the seal, then the gasket) so fairly confident, but Saracen is so much bigger and heavier and won't fit in my garage. Most likely I'll end up with a gantry but am considering a big (not a hobby one) engine crane that is rated up to 1 tonne with a fairly long reach.

I'm slow and try to be safe so want to ensure there is a fair bit of leeway.

Any hints also appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

Thanks croc. I would guess that the B80 is going to be in the order of 400Kg

ie B60 6 cylinders = 300 therefore B80 8 cylinders = 400

Looks like allowing for a 1 tonne lift means I'm well within a safety margin.

Simon

Thanks Sean

I'm aiming for 1 tonne capacity at the correct extension and with lots of leg underneath, I think there was a comment somewhere on this board about the wrong crane simply falling over forward. Seen loads of gantrys on ebay but they are all up north! I know Richard Farrant suggested a fork lift, but I'm not expecting a quick in and out so hire or borrowing wouldn't really be appropriate. Had thought of making a gantry but ... while my welding is certainly good enough, the price of steel now it is almost the same price to buy second hand - if they were available down south!

Simon

one other possibility maybe is ..

....is there any fella / plant company maybe in your locality with a HIAB type crane on a lorry that would be able to come by one evening after work ???

...once you've got it def ready to lift out that is of course so he wasn't hanging about for 3 or 4 hours........offer him 30 or 40 quid maybe and ...have a dolly of some sorts ready for him to drop it onto then you could wheel it around as you needed to?...assuming you got a big enough yard/ drive so he can get where he'd need to with his lorry though of course .?.........:-)

Agree its a great idea, but on the one hand I doubt that I'm that organised, on the other hand, there will be that last nut or bolt that stays hidden till the end and takes an hour to undo, then that shows up another! Also with a hiab will I miss that element of gentleness that I can get with a manually operated lift ? Then there is the gentle wiggling and adjusting when it comes to reinstalling.

I had thought of an RSJ resting on the turret one end and a suitably braced Acroyd at the other and a chain winch on a dolly, but that means having a big long (say 10 foot) heavy lump of metal high up, A) get it there safely, and B) keep it there safely and C) I'm underneath it for a lot of the time. With an engine crane of the right size, I can organise it so I am never underneath the big heavy thing (large lump of metal in the sky or big heavy engine).

Also, much as with doing the Ferret, the gearbox only needed to be moved forward 3 foot or so, I expect that will be the same with the Saracen Engine, so teh lifting operation will be largely to allow movement rather than getting it out. The engine starts and runs so well that it is a real frustration that it needs to come out at all!

Rattlesnakebob's idea is a good one, but you do need to be organised or have a friendly operator who want;s to help.

When I was young, being brought up on a farm was handy. The loader used to come in handy for engine removal and transportation. Take engine out of donor car drive 150m to receiving vehicle job done.

Even used it once to move am imobile scrap Rover P6 3/4 mile. OK it fell of once but hey. VW Beetles were easier better than pushing anyway.

So a friendly farmer may also be an option.

Mike

loader.jpg

Thanks Jerry but the basic weight is good. Its in the region of 1/2 tonne and I'm aiming for a lifting capacity of 1 tonne at minimum so should be safe. As with when I did my Ferret Engine out I'll post a few pictures - but don't look out for them soon, this is early planning - one small job for REME, one huge task for me!

I had thought of an RSJ resting on the turret one end and a suitably braced Acroyd at the other and a chain winch on a dolly, but that means having a big long (say 10 foot) heavy lump of metal high up, A) get it there safely, and B) keep it there safely and C) I'm underneath it for a lot of the time. With an engine crane of the right size, I can organise it so I am never underneath the big heavy thing (large lump of metal in the sky or big heavy engine).

!

Hi Simonm,

See post http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?21162-Saracen-problems-Feeling-quite-depressed-(&p=258380#post258380 post 28.

You'll see how I get my engine in and out. The RSJ is ropped to the turret. I use a 1/2 ton winch which copes OK but is near its limit.

Andy

• 1 month later...

1800 engine blocks on ebay, according to the skimwords link.... Can we get rid of this!!

Adam, I hope you get a proper buyer on the pig. I would love it but just haven't got the storage. Good luck my friend, and sorry you have to sell it.

Matt

1800 engine blocks on ebay, according to the skimwords link.... Can we get rid of this!!

Adam, I hope you get a proper buyer on the pig. I would love it but just haven't got the storage. Good luck my friend, and sorry you have to sell it.

Matt

With some of the idiotic messages i have been getting, i would far rather keep it than sell it to someone that wants it as a field thrash toy, we shall see!

Did get someone send me a message,not about buying, but saying he has a couple of pigs, i sent him this way, said he was going to join.