VJ Day.

Jack

My memory of it. VE Day in Penryn Cornwall - wild celebrations with bonfires in the street. I expected similar celebrations on VJ Day (I was only 6) but was very disappointed when in comparison with VE Day, it was a non-event. Perhaps another example of this, the "Forgotten Army?

Tony

Edited by Minesweeper

Services are held around the UK to mark the 65th anniversary of Victory over Japan Day, which marks the day World War II ended.

I thought on a technicality, the war diddn't end until Germany was re-united????

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_year_did_World_War_2_officially_end

There are also plenty of other possible dates for the end of way in Europe later than the end of war in the Far East.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_World_War_II_in_Europe

Another date for the end of war with Japan could be 28Th April 1952.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_San_Francisco

Edited by antarmike

If you've got to be nit picking VJ day and its anniversarys marks the day that Japanese forces ceased fighting at the behest of the Emperor of Japan. However even then some Japanese units continued to fight -at least one attempt was made to shoot down RB32s carrying out recce flights to ensure the terms of surrender were being adhered to and perhaps to be pedantic there were still Japanese soldiers surrendering on Guam well into the 1970s -but then there is always some-one who doesn't accept the actuality.:shocked:

If you've got to be nit picking VJ day and its anniversarys marks the day that Japanese forces ceased fighting at the behest of the Emperor of Japan. However even then some Japanese units continued to fight -at least one attempt was made to shoot down RB32s carrying out recce flights to ensure the terms of surrender were being adhered to and perhaps to be pedantic there were still Japanese soldiers surrendering on Guam well into the 1970s -but then there is always some-one who doesn't accept the actuality.:shocked:

I accept that fighting officially finished in the far East Theatre on VJ day, but question whether that was the official end of WW2. With my father being a Japanese POW, I think the date on which the Japanese agreed to pay compensation for their treatment (however paltry that was) was significant and would argue that the war ended in 1952. (as do others)

I would like to know when you think the Korean War ended because again there is no end to that war and technicallky North and South Korea are still at war. Until a formal end is agreed (if ever) they remain at war. The War with Japan only ended formally in 1952.

Edited by antarmike

If you want to be nit picking about this fighting officially ended 15-8-45 I can't recalled if it was a midnight 14th-15 8-45 cease fire or whether it came in later on 15-8-45 but for the most part that is irrelevant. The official surrender of the Empire of Japan was on USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay on the morning of 2nd September 1945 taken by Gen. MacArthur and as he said and you can watch the famous newsreel on many sites and the wording was "I - Gen. MacArthur -accept the unconditional surrender of the Empire of Japan on behalf of the United Nations- and the representative of the Emperor of Japan will now sign the instrument of surrender"- (limping guy in top hat and tail signs document) -MacAthur then said "these proceeding are at a close"

Many wars end without a formal peace treaty, but others had in effect peace treaties that the wider world did not accept -for example the formal treaty between the 3rd Reich and Vichy, The Netherlands, Norway Denmark and Belgium and there was never a peace treaty between the 3rd Reich and Poland.

There is a big difference between unconditional surrender and armistice. In 1945 both Germany and Japan (unlike Italy and similarly Bulgaria) were faced with only one term of capitulation -unconditional surrender and and fighting would not cease until this term was met- or no Germans or Japanese forces existed.

In Korea the Communist forces and UN forces had fought to a stalemate and an armistice was instituted and still holds. There was no similarity to WW2.

I have to say that from a disinterested view point trying to make out that POW compensation should have been paid until to point of San Fransisco treaty would probably be a major reason that there was such an unsatisfactory and protracted solution to the negotiations. -It would be rather like an ex convict wrongly convicted but released after serving only part of a sentance, claiming compensation for a full term of imprisonment.

Prisoners of War are classed as released from captivity a soon as ther previous administration hands over respossiblity -be it handed over to the Red Cross (as in the case of seriously ill POWs of Germany in WW2) or liberated by Allied forces or in the case of many Japanese victims that their own officers took over the administration of the camps.

Steve

Jack -

Please tell us you've been able to cancel the anniversary T shirt order......:sweat:

VJ day is still VJ day, and no need to cancel the order, it's just that VJ day may not actually be the end of WW2, just the end of the fighting, maiming and killing......and that is cerainly worth celebrating!

antarmike

Since Russia did not sign the San Francisco treaty, it could be argued that the Second World war ended in 1956

Perhaps, though the borough of Berwick on Tweed is still technically at war with Russia although I don't think I'll be in danger of meeting up with Putin and his mates on the A1 north of Alnwick:cool2:.

Wars end generally after both sides agree an armistice or that one regime ceases to exist as a governmental power- in both the cases of Germany under the 3rd Reich and the Empire of Japan as an absolutist monarchy -or as an imperial front for a Shogunate, both ended with the occupation and subugation of their territories by the victorious powers -including in the case of Japan by the Soviet Union who took over the Northern-most Japanese islands and exclusively in Japan itself by the MacArthur shogunate.