who do you use for original style wiring looms

R Cubed

I have three words to add here - HOCKEY BINDING TAPE - a friend in Canada put me onto this stuff.

I generally buy in trucks and strip the wiring looms to salvage usable wire, cutting and re-terminating where I have to so I can keep under-dash and under-hood looking like they should on the rebuilt vehicles.

Problem was that I had to use ordinary insulating tape and heat shrink, which was fine technically, but just didn't look right.

Enter the hockey binding tape - it is very like the original wrapping tape that was used on many WW2 truck looms, so now when I re-insulate and terminate a lead, I just wrap the end in the hockey tape and it looks just like the original.

I had to buy mine from E-Pay, but it wasn't expensive;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hockey-Adhesive-Tape-BLACK-25mm-x-50m-/170508254465?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skateboarding_Skating_ET&hash=item27b3157d01

It would probably work as a straight substitute for insulating tape, but I tend to use either insulating tape or heat shrink and then just cover it in hockey tape. Heat shrink is normally that bit neater as a finished product.

A word of caution make sure the "hockey tape" is compatable with the insulation material used in the wiring loom for example PVC to PVC or alternatively use a compatable heat shrink or insulating tape between the loom and the Hockey tape- otherwise an imcompatable tape could cause plasticiser to migrate from the wiring loom causing the cable to become brittle and fail.

Hi Richard, back in the sixties we used to rebuild MG Midgets and although I worked for Lucas in those far off days and could get some stuff we also used to use Autosparks. The company has since changed hands but a visit to their website may well be worthwhile.

Deryck

Dei (Welsh)

Del (Also Welsh, has another meaning)

Degsy.

Hi all I am after some parts and sections of new original spec wiring looms, what experience have you all had and who have you used for your wiring.

Hello matey,

you need to talk to Rex Ward, he has just started selling very nice looking replacement looms for Jimmies, very reasonably priced. Seen one, looks very good indeed.

Cloth braided wire and asphalt loom is readily available. I've used http://www.riwire.com (USA) and have been happy with the quality.

The hard part is some of the correct terminal ends are no longer made. The CCKW uses a flag type terminal on many harnesses and unless you salvage the original nothing I have found is close.

The custom harnesses (Vintage Wiring of Maine) start at $900+ for a complete set.. but I don't know if all the terminals are proper (there are flag terminals on the regulator, genny, and under the dash).

I've been able to make a replacement genny to regulator harness for about $10US but was able to salvage the original flag terminals.

The originals were sent through a braiding machine and have tell tale 'tails', but fishing the proper wires through a 3/8th inch asphalt loom is proper enough.

Hi Richard, back in the sixties we used to rebuild MG Midgets and although I worked for Lucas in those far off days and could get some stuff we also used to use Autosparks. The company has since changed hands but a visit to their website may well be worthwhile.

I had a wiring loom made up by Autosparks for my Ford WOA2 in 2004. It had the correct colour and style cable for a wartime vehicle and fitted almost without problem. One or 2 ends needed changing, but only a 2 second job. I was very pleased with their product.

• 2 weeks later...