Converting a Stalwart to a Diesel

Tony B

• 2 weeks later...

okay this beggers a question, if i wanted to convert one of my stollys to a diesel, which engine do i want to use, I know some one hwo has fitted a differnt cog inside the transfer box and made it rev lower with the b81 engine, now with that conversion and a diesel engine that would run at say 2500 top whack i would still be able to maintain 45 mph, anyone got any ideas of a good engine in the 250bhp range that is a straight 6 or 8 that would drop in, preferrebly one that isnt too heavy and comes with its own compressor...24 volt is a given of course too

a turbo phaser sounds a bit old hat these days but any other ideas..what about a bedford 500, they do about 300 bhp i think but have heard all sorts of horror stories about their reliability...

Edited by Marmite!!
Copied from another thread

What ever lump you end up using i would look at mounting it in a frame along with the rest of the ancilaries and gearbox so it can be lifted in the future as a pack. After the recent debates about Stolly's its the one thing i think they should have done from the start. Only the centre drives to disconect, a few bits of electric/hoses and the hydraulic hose's to the front tank.

Isn't the B81 engine in a Stalwart dry sump and therefore reasonably low profile?

I have the feeling most diesels being rather tall may struggle to fit beneath the unmodified floor of a Stolly.

A V configuration diesel (or K60 multifuel) may be get around this problem if there is sufficient width.

ISTR that the diesel powered one at last years W&P had the engine in at an angle.... Any one here manage to get a closer look at it???

That was my other thought as to a possible solution but you'd have to watch lubrication and sump capacity especially if off roading.

Can't beat dry sumps for off-roading.

Cummins C series is quite compact but not much revs. Cummins B series can be taken to 235bhp with intercooler fitted and is very compact. It is (was) a very commonly fitted engine and has many configuration options for bellhousings.

Edited by Grasshopper

simple cog change in the trasfer box and you have 2500 rpm showing over 40 mph...

but to be honest this is for off roading not for road use, so dont care about the floor or the sump. just want grunt at low engne revs and high angles of attack. ie in second...will never use any other gear I reckon and if its used just for off road i reckon the snap loads will be kept to a minimum...

I really want a genuine 300 bhp at 2500 rpm,...anyone got a good idea of the right engine...

but to be honest this is for off roading not for road use, so dont care about the floor or the sump. just want grunt at low engne revs and high angles of attack. ie in second...will never use any other gear I reckon and if its used just for off road i reckon the snap loads will be kept to a minimum...

I really want a genuine 300 bhp at 2500 rpm,...anyone got a good idea of the right engine...

You may care about the sump being small enough to allow the crank height to match the gearbox.

300hp is a 25% increase on the original engine. Are you sure you want to but the extra through an ageing transmission?

its not so much the transmissions age, i am more concerned about snatch loads on it. the best way to avoid that is to have enough real power to keep moving and not have to rev and shake the thing if it is struggling...well thats my theory..realisitically anything over 200 bhp will be enough, this thing will never carry much load so a cummins in line 8 seems to be the way to go...and yes get your point about the sump now, we may need to do a bit of work on the sump...or cut a hole in the tubb...?

plans are in progress...

If the primary concern is off-roading Paul then I'd have thought cutting holes in the hull floor for sump clearance is a major no-no!! Last thing you want or need is something pointy punching through a fabricated cover and then the sump itself. Be better off fitting a dry sump kit as per the original and modifying the new engines sump pan to suit.

agree neil, but the plan is changing as it always does, I have found a suitable engine and am going to fit it direct to my 623, the 622 is staying with the b81 until I destroy that...I have a cummins straight 6 with 250 or 275 bhp in the offing...will see...

Found these web pages re. converted Stalwarts trials with the Perkins Phaser engine but had never seen photos of it before

http://www.armyjeeps.net/vehicle2.htm

http://www.armyjeeps.net/stalwart/stalwartmkii.htm

Interesting - nice, neat conversion and a freaky I/P to eyes used to the conventional Mk 2 Stalwart one - but with a price tag of the equivalent of £16,500 - I don't think so..... :-(