London Militaria shops?

Rlangham

Does anyone know of any decent militaria shops in London? Ideally near a tube station! Fancy a tat-spending spree, namely a good decent pith helmet but not sure which sort to go for (either the Wolseley or the other sort as used in Zulu). Only one i've seen so far is one in Camden Market which was actually well priced, but didn't have one there unfortunately or much else in the way of WW2 stuff.

Cheers, Rob

Yeah, i'm looking for the ones you see at just about every militaria show/stalls at vehicle shows, normally go for about £10-£20. Hoping to try one on first though as i'm not sure which i'd prefer! Thanks for the hints though guys will give them a go

Try Nick Hall at Sabre Sales in Southsea, Hampshire (I know it's not London, but it's not too far). He tends to stock loads of obscure items, including what you are looking for. Best to go there, as his shop in quite extensive and you can spend hours looking round.

http://www.sabresales.co.uk/

Robert Davey

I agree with Robert, you won't be disappointed. I was there a couple of weeks ago. There are 2 adjacent shops & another a few doors down. Not only are there upstairs, back rooms & annexes, there is a double cellar with stock up to your shoulder. In fact you have to crawl on your stomach to move around as you can't stand up. I found NOS WW2 mule saddlery of various sorts, even respirator bags for horses!

I heard rumour the Great White Bearded one was retiring? Great place to visit they are all as mad as we are. :-D

Given the slump in commercial property prices in the area I think he will be relieved to carry on for at least a while.

Closed down now unfortunately - although a replacement opened in Camden called 'Squadron HQ', but it's one of these 'Camden retro/weird fashionable' type shops so ridiculously expensive - only had one pith helmet, and it was £60! And it was the same as the sort as previously mentioned, the sort you get at military shows for about £10-20