My new Bedford QLR is home...sort off...

paul_bish

Went to pick up the Bedford yesterday

Bedford_QLR_14.jpg

Bedford_QLR_15.jpg

With my mechanic, thought a once over would be good before we set off as its not run for a good few months. Started well but cut out when warm and wouldn't start so not a great start, still Andy the seller was very helpful and we fettled by the road and got her going.

All was going well along the A27 until we came to a big long hill, she boiled and blew a rad hose. We tried to fix at the roadside but couldn't get water into the radiator die to the offset.

So along came Andy Long to the rescue in his shiny Peterbuilt.

Bedford_QLR_9.jpg

Bedford_QLR_6.jpg

Bedford_QLR_7.jpg

Bedford_QLR_10.jpg

Bedford_QLR_11.jpg

So its now gone for a good tune up and fettle.

We also had a good rummage around the back and its full of stuff, like a mobile museum.

Anyone know a source for the following;

Top rad to filler hose

Wartime penthouse tent (the one with it appears to be a rigged up lean to)

/p

There is one thing you never do with a QL is to overfill the radiator. I fill until I can just see water at the bottom of the tube, carry a dipstick will be easier unless you are 8 foot tall. My QL has a temp guage fitted, (ex-Danish army mod) and you know when there is a problem occurring and it is time to back off the pace a little.

regards, Richard

There is one thing you never do with a QL is to overfill the radiator. I fill until I can just see water at the bottom of the tube, carry a dipstick will be easier unless you are 8 foot tall. My QL has a temp guage fitted, (ex-Danish army mod) and you know when there is a problem occurring and it is time to back off the pace a little.

regards, Richard

Cracking suggestions and will follow them

regards, Richard

Would a Kenlowe Fan at the front help too rigged to a thermo switch? Perhaps a daft suggestion but more air passing through might help :undecided:

Probably betyter to get the rad checked and the cooling system flushed

60+ years of crud and a possible blocked rad wont help

Also agree with Richard about not overfilling

They did run these in the desert when they were new!!!

(No kenlow fans then!)

Probably betyter to get the rad checked and the cooling system flushed

60+ years of crud and a possible blocked rad wont help

Also agree with Richard about not overfilling

They did run these in the desert when they were new!!!

(No kenlow fans then!)

Next job is full flush of system and full tune and service. We think it was running too rich as well. So a good once over, tune, checking of fluids and seals and jobs a good un. Some fettling as they say

Just a thought, but you might want to de-rig that gas detector tray while on public roads too - sort of thing the Traffic Bunnies would rightly be concerned about. :red:

Are you thinking form a pedestrian safety POV or vision when driving?

Next job is full flush of system and full tune and service. We think it was running too rich as well. So a good once over, tune, checking of fluids and seals and jobs a good un. Some fettling as they say

She was radflushed just before Andy got her. The clutch was replaced and the brake master rebuilt by Pastparts at the same time. It was partly doing it made Phil decide he was getting to old for all that. :-D

She was radflushed just before Andy got her. The clutch was replaced and the brake master rebuilt by Pastparts at the same time. It was partly doing it made Phil decide he was getting to old for all that. :-D

That's good to know. I do recall Andy saying he had flushed the rad too