DODGE WC51 Rebuild

HWade

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there is a little more to report on the restoration of the WC51. I dropped the old oil from the engine and added fresh oil, I have replaced all missing oil pipes, and put on a oil pressure gauge, points were cleaned, new distributor, Rotor arm, and HT leads were added, also made a small gravity fed fuel tank on the carb. The engine didnt have a distributor fitted so this was fitted and the engine timed up.The first turn of the starter and the engine burst into life.Good oil pressure and with a compression test done these were very good as well. Now that that I know the engine is a good runner. I will know take it apart for cleaning and painting.Are ad pictures in a while. Howard

Lunch break, so here is a bit more finally got the engine stripped down and all holes filled ready for blasting, carried this out this morning at 7am while it was cool. The engine has now been primed and top coated in its top coat grey gloss. I have also fitted the new front rubber engine mount. The oil filter housing was degreased and blasted and primed along with other bits. Are try and get these painted later today or tomorrow.once engine is completed and fitted into the chassis are aim at getting all the new brake lines fitted.

dodge wc51 002.JPG

dodge wc51 005.JPG

dodge wc51 007.JPG

dodge wc51 008.JPG

dodge wc51 022.JPG

dodge wc51 019.JPG

dodge wc51 021.JPG

dodge wc51 025.JPG

dodge wc51 024.JPG

dodge wc51 023.JPG

Hello Gary, firstly I fill all holes with rag, then use plastic caps and push them in tight they are tapered so you get a nice snug fit,I use old spark plugs in the plug holes, any other holes I dont have plastic caps for, I use more rag and then masking tape rolled in a ball and pushed in the hole,this works very well, and I am yet to get grit where it should not be. I dont need to worry about clear up as I have a dedicated container for blasting,smaller bits I do in my blast cabinet. Howard

Thankyou Howard, I dont have to clear the blast area up as such just the job i'm blasting.

I dont do it on a commercialjust our own bits and bobs. The last lot I did I think was the hotest day of the year.......not good as you will know. I've used kiln dried sand and one or two other mediums,have you tried crushed glass by any chance.

Its been reccomended to me but I've not tried it.

Gary

Well I got more done as I wanted I managed to get various smaller items cleaned up and painted, hope to start bolting back together tomorrow, I also need to make a couple of brackets to bolt to the top of the engine using 4 of the head bolts soI can lift engine into the chassis.heres a few more pics.

dodge wc51 022.JPG

dodge wc51 038.JPG

dodge wc51 036.JPG

dodge wc51 034.JPG

dodge wc51 033.JPG

dodge wc51 030.JPG

First thing yesterday Morning, I met with a friend of mine to collect another dodge wc52 this being another restoration project, but is also going to be a temporary donor vehicle for the odd part to save waiting. More of the ancillaries have been bolted back to the engine, I also managed to get the engine into the chassis early evening. If any body out there has any fuel tanks let me know even if its a rough one and I could use for a pattern, so I can get a couple fabricated. Howard

Howard, we still have the old tank out of our WC having bought a repro from one of the Dutch dealers. We had to cut the top off it to diagnose a fault (the pickup pipe had a botched repair where it went through the side of the tank so would pick up air when the fuel level dropped a little or you went up a hill). PM Tootallmike as it is at his place and he goes up your way from time to time.

Vince

Hello Vince thanks for that, I will send him a PM. regards the Wc51 Ive done a little more today managed to get the steering column blasted and in primer along with pedals and linkages, also got a few more bits bolted on the engine, Ive also been working on a chevrolet 235 engine which is for another ongoing restoration not covered on this forum.Heres a few more pics.Howard

dodge wc21 002.JPG

dodge wc21 001.JPG

dodge wc21 003.JPG

dodge wc21 004.JPG

• 2 months later...

Its been a while since the WC51 has been worked on but, its now come out of hibernation for some more work, various bits have been painted and can now be bolted on. The engine has been gone through and run up, and is now back in the chassis, I plan to get all 4 braking stations rebuilt and make up all the new pipework,I also have the protective shiefing that goes over some of the pipe work this is in stainless steal.A big thanks to Paul for help sourcing that. I also have all the new brake unions required to make up the pipe work. I have quite a large stock of the Unions so if anybody requires them I can supply, I have short and long.I will add a few pics later.Thats it for now. Howard,

Hello David, I am sure there are plenty of punters for W, Softners. I got the radiator all back togeather and back on the truck today. Still waiting for various parts to turn up, I think I am ok to get most of the front end complete, then it might be a waiting game, for parts, ive got plenty to drop back on to, so its nice to have the dodge as a fill in project. Just has to be up running and complete for next season so no pressure!. Howard

Well a little bit more done on the dodge the front radiator cowl and grill is now on. also some of the brackets on the side of the chassis , and one of the underwing side panels.I have also sorted out more items for the blast cabinet. Couple more pics. Howard

dodge and chev 007.JPG

dodge and chev 008.JPG