larkhil range wrecks

eddy8men

hi fella's

not one of my pics just something i found on the web,but makes for interesting viewing click on the pic to see the large image,i can see 432, chiefy and i think m47 or are they conquerors ?the google earth image is especially useful as you can pinpoint the location.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/8276773.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.panoramio.com/photo/8276773&h=1920&w=2560&sz=729&tbnid=EbVmXyC0N3lhNM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dphoto%2Bof%2Blarkhill%2Bartillery%2Brange&hl=en&usg=__z693MO8TIYbAdzSLOpYsYas6rY4=&ei=PCCQS82uL9vNjAfB__HFDw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image&ved=0CAgQ9QEwAQ

eddy

Pretty sure the thing in the right foreground is a Centurion rather than a Conqueror. The Cent chuck port is visible on the left side of turret its on the right side on a conq. dont think you missed anything else of significance although there is a saracen too.

Steve

Edited by steveo578

Defo the bombard area just up from V9 Bustard site. This was one of the area's we visited on the last Plains weekend. There used to be a Sherman hull in there a few years ago. Was down there back at Christmas and it had gone. There are a few more wrecks in there now as the west range wreck seems to be moving to the centre. The wrecks with-in the bombard are Chieftains, Centurions, I think M48s, some FV430 veriants and a saracen. I will big some pics out and bore you with them if you want..

Tony

Defo the bombard area just up from V9 Bustard site. This was one of the area's we visited on the last Plains weekend. There used to be a Sherman hull in there a few years ago. Was down there back at Christmas and it had gone. There are a few more wrecks in there now as the west range wreck seems to be moving to the centre. The wrecks with-in the bombard are Chieftains, Centurions, I think M48s, some FV430 veriants and a saracen. I will big some pics out and bore you with them if you want..

Tony

... bore away! I could look at range relics all day:tup::

great pics have you got any more for us,i'm glad i'm not the only one that loves looking at range targets, there's something about the possible availability that flicks my switch.if you go to a show or a museum it's nice but it belongs to someone else but if you go to the range and see something you like then there's a chance of owning it ,the hard part is getting the range warden to part with it and if the area is classed as sssi then it will get really tricky but it's still a possibility and that's what i like.

one day i'll get one

eddy

I do have a few more pics from of the ranges, West and center. I will dig out the discs one day. I know what you mean about getting hold of one, West down no longer deal with wreck recovery, I think it has all been passed over to Bovington TM. Thankfully some good people have maneged to rescue a few of the old bits of kit from certain distruction.

I would be very interested in knowing what happened to the 6 WW2 German Artillery guns. According to a small booklet writen by Mark Khan, there were 3x 105 (15cm Schwere Feldhaubitze 18) and 3x 105 (Schwere 10cm Kanone 18). The guns were layed out in a simulated battery position.

Tony

hi tony

you mentioned that bovington deal with wreck recovery on the plain could you confirm this for me please,it would be nice to pick up a tank or two while down on the plain weekend :cool2:

eddy

Eddy, If it were that easy I would have one hell of a collection. We can always go over and have a look if you want. I think one of the stops planned for this years Plains weekend is down at the bombard area again.

There's been a few interesting trips over the years. John Pearson can tell you better but we did a trip to Wales and John used his RL recovery to remove a Valentine turret for his project. We had to leave the truck overnight in the boonies as it got a bit stuck..... Managed to recover it the next day though!

On one Plain trip, I borrowed a Militant Mk1 to recover a Sherman engine. Unfortunately its fuel system and one of its batteries was a bit crook and when it stopped in the middle of nowhere, we had to walk two miles through the moonscape in pouring rain to get the battery off my truck, then carry it two miles back again to jump start the Militant. We even had to use some fuel fittings from a Ferret target to repair the truck.

I never used a borrowed truck again!

Lastly, for now, I did a trip to Fingringhoe to recover Cromwell parts and mid lift of a turret, the pressure pipe fitting on the HIAB pump failed. It's amazing how far the jet of oil went! Fortunately, Tony had a friend reasonably locally so we took the fitting off and drove in my unit down to his farm and welded the fitting back together. It held ok though I replaced when I got home.

Such are the joys of range work! You really are often miles from anywhere so you have to be very self sufficient and aware of the risks. All a bit academic now though as access is more or less impossible.

• 6 months later...