WW1 Medals

BIGREDONE

Question

I was given some old medals by my family more years ago than I care to remember, I have come across them today and I was wondering if one set is rare as the service number is only four numbers long?

Medal reads.....

9298 G.F. THOMAS CAMB . R .

Any help and advice would be appriciated

Thanks

Paul

4 answers to this question

Quite an unusual regiment (I think the museum is at Duxford) and the four digit service number could well indicate a pre war Regular. This is perhaps confirmed when I looked at his Medal Index Card (www.nationalarchives.gov.uk) and saw that he transferred to the Labour Corps as 415434 later in the war.

You can download the cards for £2 but it sounds like you have one of the the three first world war medals (1914 /15 Star - or 1914 Star for an 'old contemptible', British War Medal & Victory Medal). Depending on when he first entered a theatre of war, he would have been awarded all three or just the last two.

Always try to keep them together, along with any documents etc you may have.

Hope this helps!

Peter

Thanks mate this is very interesting, I will stick some pictures up later, I have found out the another one I have belongs to a guy from the C.F.A. Canadian Field Artillery, how the hell the family got that one I dont know?

Regards

Paul