Fuel change over lever on a PIG

poppypiesdad

Question

Hi all ,me again with daft questions.

I'm having some problems in getting fuel to the carb on my Pig.

Does anyone have a diagram/exploded view of the internals of one .

If I bypass everything tank,fuel filter, and connect onto the pipework going to the carb it draws fuel no problem not a stutter.

As soon as i connect it to the tank, Nothing wont start ,I have recently refubed the tank and filled it with clean fresh fuel , washed out the fuel filter and then refilled the bowl with clean petrol even undid the banjo bolt and cleaned the gauzwe going onto the carb and sucking the fuel up where i think the problem is a HUGE resistance and no fuel .

Anyhelp will be greatly appreciated as always

Jamie

10 answers to this question

The problem is probably the cork gasket in the fuel change over tap. There's not an awful lot to it, but that little tap can cause all sorts of problems. Unfortunatley new ones seem to be very expensive, but you should be able to make up a new seal if you can't find one.

There could be a faulty washer on the air bleed screw on the fuel filter ( if its got one) bleed screw that is

Yes it does Chris & I have had just that problem.

Jamie, you say you have cleaned, refurb etc the tank. If you are running off one tank are you sure you have switched the changeover switch to the correct tank?

Unlike a Rover changeover, in the Pig it is not logical. On the Pig when the tap lever is fully clockwise the LH tank is connected, usually set so lever points forwards. When it is turned fully anticlockwise, the RH tank is connected, usually set so the lever is pointing left.

The other thing to consider is whether you have a failed diaphragm in the fuel pump. If this is so then fuel will leak into the sump, so check your oil level has not gone up or smells of petrol!

Edited by fv1609

seriously annoying...my crane had the same problem, cracked solder on the fuel pipe in the tank itself, drove me to distraction trying to find it, checked it over and over again but could not see any leak but the moment I bypassed it all was fine...unbelievable...to be sure you have an air leak not a blockage,,,i am 99% sure...dont know the pigs but i know mechanical fuel pumps and it sounds like you have air getting in...get one of those hand pump (as you see on boat lines) and pressurise the lines this will show you where the hole is when you see where fuel comes out...easier than trying to find a sucking pipe...

And a gold star goes to paolob1 , it was a old rubber seal at the top of the filter housing in combination with operator error , yes the banjobolt form the tank was loose but BIG thanks for the pump idea .

And it started and ran for about 10 mins without a hiccup.

So with that one done it's onto the refurb of the master cylinder

Jamie