Oops!

philb

I related this story to Jack and he thought it might be a source of amusement to others. This is what I sent him.....

I tried to visit you, Joris etc. in my Matador, following the directions you gave by way of the google map to the camp at Viervilles-sur-Mer.

Assuming that I found the right camp, I may have been the cause of you gaining easier access after Friday. I stopped at the barrier and my passenger got out to ask at the office if they knew you - the lady was polite and pleasant but didn't. We then asked if we could come through the barrier to turn round but she had a personality flip and refused. Not too bothered, I started to do a nine point turn and in the middle of it a couple of camper vans turned up to get into the site. They must have seen what I was attempting, as by this time I was square-on to the road, but they insisted on pushing past. No bother to me, glad of a break from heaving the steering wheel (much the same as a man's truck, I'm sure). Anyway, because the first van was so far out of position to approach the entry barrier squarely - he demolished it. Mrs. Gate Guard was not amused and said what I imagined to be rude words to me in French.

It wasn't my fault, honest! We didn't touch anything.

Some people are so impatient! Not wanting to get tangled in the aftermath (the damage to the camper looked quite expensive too), we converted oil into black smoke and kinetic energy and buzzed off, sharpish.