Humber pig petrol tanks

paul connor

Any idea the best way to clean them out?

i did a few years back by steam cleaning with parafin and then topping up and swishing about , as the tank had old fuel in, now there is a horrid brown gunk in the bottom. one tank is not nice other a bit better, but alas i need to sort it before i put more fuel in.

Do i use the crap fuel i have to fill. shake and repeat until its clear?

but this still leaves reisdue as well as corrosion ?

anything better?

Hello Paul,

Now I don't know if this works or if there is a better way but.....

A Mechanic friend of mine suggested cleaning a fuel tank by using very hot water and a few handfuls of smooth(ish) gravel and gently swirling the tank around. The hot water will loosen any gunge and the gravel should clean any rust away, a bit like wire wool would.

As I said I don't know if this works because I've never had to do it. He did warn against using very coarse gravel, especially if the tank has a galvanised finish to it as it may scratch it off, fish tank gravel would be ideal. Now where can you get that from? :wink: :lol:

Regards

Richard

I always use this for cleaning, it works quite well:

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8680

Chris

Sounds like the answer to a lot of MV owners prayers if the data sheet info on this is to be believed:

MARINE-CLEAN removes grease, oil, mildew, algae, musty odors, soap films, wax. Use it to clean canvas, vinyl, nylon, holding tanks, grease traps, auto parts and more.

It does work, honestly!

They also do a fuel tank repair kit, which includes marine clean and some fuel tank sealer. You clean it out and then pour the sealer in and swish it about, that should get rid of the rust problem?

Chris

Some of my REME mates recommended a phosphoric acid solution.

So I tried like hell to find one...I found a fuel tank cleaner at a marine supply house, but when I went to buy it, they didn't have it on the shelf...even denied it's existence.

I was left to browsing the hardware stores...and suddenly I found a tub,tile & shower cleaner that was...Phosphoric Acid. So, I bought it, poured the entire gallon into the right petrol tank...added 4 ounces of Naval Jelly to "kick it up a notch"....swished it around...and drained it.

The stinky, nasty crud was gone! And my basement drain is running smooth as silk...

Now to reinstall the tank. And repair the broken fuel line. I broke the last half-inch off, about a half-inch from the banjo bolt.

ARRGH!!!! Where's a REME Workshop when you need one..... :?