Census number/Markings sizes

rippo

Hello,

I've got the sign writer coming over at the weekend to mark up the bedford. Firstly the census number down the bonnent, is there a size for the digits? I'm sure i've seen it on here somewhere but i can't find it now. Also is there a size for the markings on the wings and tailboard?

thanks.

Hodges and Taylor in 'British Military Markings' state that coloured flashes should be the same size as the old 'Pass' plate - i.e. approx 8 1/2" x 9 1/2" high. Period photos are probably the best guide for specific vehicle types.

I have a note of census number digits on vehicles other than motorcycles being 3 1/2" high x 2" wide but I can't find the source at the moment.

The census numbers are 3 1/2 inches high by 2 1/2 wide, using 5/8 inch strokes.

If you're putting a speed limit sign on the back the numbers should be 4 inches high with 1/2 inch strokes and the letters 2 inches high by 1/2 inch strokes.

The bridge plate number is 7 inches high by 1 inch stroke thickness.

79x100 is spot on with the unit sign measurements of 9 1/2 high by 8 1/2 deep. The formation sign is usually similar in size. The numbers on the unit sign should be repeated on the back diff for blackout use.

The above is from one of Mike Starmer's very useful books, which take information direct from period documents. Period photos show that these dimensions were often ignored so you don't have to be too pedantic about sizes.