introduction

In May 2008, after several years of painstaking research and investigation, five burial pits dating from the First World War were identified at Pheasant Wood, near Fromelles in northern France. The pits, which have lain undisturbed for more than 90 years, are believed to contain the remains of between 250 and 400 British and Australian soldiers, buried behind German lines after the Battle of Fromelles in July 1916.

The British and Australian governments have asked the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to oversee the operation to recover the remains and to create a new military cemetery at Fromelles for their reburial. The work begins in May 2009 and will be completed by July 2010.

Click the link to follow the rest of the story

http://www.cwgc.org/fromelles/

Thanks for the link, Alan, have just watched local news item on a local family hoping DNA can be extracted from recovered bones, as they're hoping for news of a 'lost' member of their family.

All the best,

Andy

Interesting times. I haven't been to Fromelles and will keep away until the new cemetery is built (I should imagine). I know the Australians are big on getting DNA samples for their fallen. It's interesting to note that a lot of the snaps being put out to the media of relics found - which could not be attributed to British or Australians are usually captioned as Australian - such is the nature of the media. I don't think the Brits were in a hurry to start DNA testing because it opens the biggest can of worms. It obviously coincides with Peter Barton's work there and with the Red Cross in Switzerland. It would be wonderful to see all these men identified - but a full burial is the most important. Lots to learn in the months to come methinks.

MB